How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask StructuralEng Your Own Question
StructuralEng, Civil Engineer
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 7138
Experience:  Licensed Structural Engineer
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
StructuralEng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello,Im looking to use galvanised steel posts to support

Customer Question

I'm looking to use galvanised steel posts to support a wooden retaing wall. It is a small job. all together it's about 36 feet. I need help finding a vendor that sales them in the US in small quantities. I'm in the San Francisco area in California so if it is a vendor located elsewhere than I need a vendor that also will ship.
Thank you.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Gina-Moderator replied 3 years ago.


I'm Gina, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,


Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Welcome, my name is Rick and I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Since this is a retaining wall I would expect that you'd need pipe not thin wall tubing often used for chain link fencing. That said your best bet is any plumbing supply house in your area. They will either stock or have access to a variety of sizes (diameters) of galvy pipe. Generally the pipe will come in 21' lengths. You may also be able to get 10' lengths if not at a plumbing supply house then at an electrical supply house where this type of piping would be used for conduit. At an electrical supply you would need to specify schedule 40 pipe not EMT (thinwall conduit).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


I'm looking for the type post that the wood slides into. A mid wall piece will look like a horizontal H. They are heavy duty. I have seen them around but can't seem to find where to but them

Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
I have no idea where you can buy what you describe. I'll opt out maube one of my colleagues can help you
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 3 years ago.

I can help you. You want HP steel beams, (make sure they're galvanized). They will be set into the ground and oriented vertically. The wood slats can slide down inside the flanges of the HP shapes. Any steel fabricator/supplier should be able to get these shapes for you. They are HP shapes and there are many different sizes available.


If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it. I'll be happy to answer additional questions on the topic.

Related Home Improvement Questions