Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I installed residential steel siding on my mobile home right

over fanfold insulation and now...
I installed residential steel siding on my mobile home right over fanfold insulation and now the wall above my sons window leaks and the floor in the hallway is wet but the walls are not wet could it be I installed jtrim and flashing wrong so it leaks behind there
8/31/2013
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
You need to remove the new siding above and around the window to find and repair the leak . Start at the bottom and work up when replacing the flashing and siding . The rule to remember is the bottom piece always gets lapped by the piece above it . Calk is no substitute for this rule. Plastic around the window won't work by itself. It has to overlap in stages just like shingles. Just remember water runs down the side and if their is no continuous overlap it will get behind the siding and leak into the inside or cause mildew and rot between the siding and the wall .

i know the pieces need overlapped that way you have a continuous seal. I am just wondering if the seal between the terminator bar and the jtrim is not sufficent so the water is running behind there

Use a spray bottle like an empty glass cleaner with the option of a stream when you pull the trigger. Spray it on to the jtrinm . You should be able to follow the stream as it flows down the siding . If it disappears there is a problem with the design or the installation. In this case caulk can be a solution if there is a very small defect but it will be an area that needs watching.
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Curious to hear how you made out -,
Hope all went well .
Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor