How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phil Your Own Question
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 8679
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Phil is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I have a property within the City of Stirling and am

This answer was rated:


I have a property within the City of Stirling and am in the process of getting retro approval for some works completed prior to me owning the property.

The City have indicated that I require a BAC for a shade cloth pergola less than 20m2 and less than 2.4m high.

I was of the understanding that a BAC was not required as exempt under class 10 building standards.

Are you able to advise?

Thanks Michael


I'm Gina, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will continue to wait for answer.


Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.



Welcome to Just Answer!.

I see no one has helped you so far. The reason for that is that no one can speak for your local building inspection department or the vagaries with staffing, and sometimes their need to generate income for the city by demanding building permits where a building permit may not actually be required, even by their own local ordinances.

Generally speaking, if an item is not permantly attached to the house or the property, such as a shed just sitting on blocks, there is no need for a building permit..thats the predominant standard.

if you called the pergola a 'tent' the staffer involved would be less likely to think it is a permanent structure.

Let me know what you think about that, we can discuss it without any time limit as long as you do not rate me negatively for my efforts.... your positive rating and my compensation thereby is entirely optional on your part.

Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 8679
Experience: Retired contractor, 51 years experience
Phil and other Home Improvement Specialists are ready to help you