How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Your Own Question
Rick, General Contractor
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 21386
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking for A & A builders who I think built the house

This answer was rated:

I am looking for A & A builders who I think built the house I own at 5600 Promontory Pointe Rd in Harbour Pointe in Midlothian, Va. I am trying to get replacement doors and windows in the house but ran into a snag about whether or not there is enough support for the windows and doors they would put in. I would like to locate the builders if possible and see if blueprints of the house are available to locate supports if they exist. Would drawings of the house still be available or what would you suggest I can do to find out if there is support other than tear out a portion of the area to be replaced.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

It's more likely the house has settled or perhaps there is some water or insect damage that's causing the issue you describe if it's only happening in a couple places. In most jurisdictions plans must be submitted to the building inspector to obtain a permit and these plans should be available to you. But finding the plans or even the builder won't tell you if the house was built according to the plans. It should have been but having a set of plans is no guarnatee. It's unlikely that a modern house has insufficient support for any door or window. I'm sorry to say the only way to know for sure what's going on may be to do a more thorough inspection of the problem which may include removing some trim and drywall. You might want to consult an independent carpenter for this.
Rick and other Home Improvement Specialists are ready to help you

Related Home Improvement Questions