Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

my garage door will open with the remotes but will not close

with them.I notice that the...
my garage door will open with the remotes but will not close with them.I notice that the lites on the sensors are not lite.I tried to line the eyes up but the lites on the sensors donot come on. Can I disable the sensors and if so will the door close with the remotes.As of now I have to close the door by using the main control pad inside the garage. Thk's Dereck
7/31/2013
Brian
Brian, Architect
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

This is a problem with the safety sensors; either due to a blocked path between the safety sensors, condensation, dirty eyes, loose wires at the sensors or at the motor head, or just misaligned or bad safety sensors. When the invisible beam path is obstructed or misaligned while the door is closing, the door will reverse. If the door is already open, it will not close.

The remotes will not work to close the garage door; they can only open it. When this happens, your garage door will only close by holding down on the wall button until the door fully closes. This method is the only way to override the safety sensors and close the door and it is also a direct clue that the sensors are the problem.

To correct the problem, you need green indicator lights in both the sending and receiving eyes and they will glow steadily if wiring connections and alignment are correct. The sending eye indicator light will glow regardless of alignment or obstruction. If the indicator light is off, dim or flickering in the receiving eye (and the invisible light beam path is not obstructed), alignment is required.
  • Loosen the sending eye wing nut and re-adjust, aiming directly at the receiving eye. Lock in place.

• Loosen the receiving eye wing nut and adjust sensor vertically and/ or horizontally until it receives the sender's beam. When the green indicator light glows steadily, tighten the wing nut.

1. If the sending eye indicator light does not glow steadily check for:
  • Electric power to the opener.
  • A short in the white or white/black wires. These can occur under staples or at screw terminal connections.
  • Incorrect wiring between sensors and opener.
  • An open wire (wire break).
2. If the sending eye indicator light glows steadily but the receiving eye indicator light doesn't:
  • Check alignment.
  • Check for an open wire to the receiving eye.
3. If the receiving eye indicator light is dim, realign either sensor.

You cannot bypass the sensors, the opener will not work without them. If you cannot get the sensors to light and the wiring is good, you may need new sensors.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Thanks for asking your question.
Best of Luck, Brian

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.

If I use a vom and go to the plugs at the sensors and remove the plugs and put the probes to the wires on the plug connectors what voltage should be there?

Generally:

If one or both sensors are blinking, the sensors are misaligned.

If one of the sensors is out, the door sensors typically need to be replaced.

If both sensors are out, the problem is typically a bad logic board or bad sensor wiring.

You can test the wires/ sensors with an ohm meter and terminals. You can remove the sensor wires from the terminals on the logic board and check for voltage across terminals 2 and 3 (black and white) on the logic board. If you have 4-5v you will need to replace the sensors. If you don't have 4-5v between terminals 2 and 3 and the opener is plugged in, the logic board is bad. You can also test the wiring at the sensors to verify that you have 4-5v. This will tell you if the wiring is bad or shorted.

Brian
Brian, Architect
Brian
Brian
Brian, Architect