Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

My conservatory has a poly-carbonate roof--and therefore of

course is too hot in...
My conservatory has a poly-carbonate roof--and therefore of course is too hot in summer and too cold in winter. I am considering replacing with either " Heat Resisting" Tinted Glass or a Plastic Tiled/ Insulated Roof. What would retain Heat best? in Winter and Coolest in Summer? What other pros and cons.
7/10/2013
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Welcome to Just Answer!.

Tell me please the square foot area of the roof approximately, and the slope of the roof aproximately. I need to have a way to visualize the situation.

Tell me please of the roof is composed of bubble shaped plastic panels, or flat sheets.

Triple pane glass, with the outside facing layer of the 90% reflective type would give you the best performance, but is very expensive for larger areas, especially where it has to be water tight for decades. It is also heavy, and involves some engineering and adaption of the support structure under it.

Get me these area and slope estimates and budget parameters and I can be more specific. Tell me the name of the nearest city so that I can look up the weather extremes.

I hold questions open after positive ratings to allow for unlimited follow up. Please be patient though. The research & typing take time.

Phil

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer