Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a Frigidaire FRT18B5JM and the ice maker has quit working.

Customer Question
I bought a replacement kit...
I have a Frigidaire FRT18B5JM and the ice maker has quit working. I bought a replacement kit but still no ice. I replaced everything from the wall to the tray. I'm concerned that it is in the refrigerator circuit.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
7/7/2013
Home Improvement Expert: The Home Smithy, Home Builder replied 4 years ago
The Home Smithy, Home Builder

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.

I am not showing any of the units with the base model number you provided as having ice makers.

Please confirm the model number from the manufacturers lable inside the refrigerator conmpartment.

Thank you.

The ice maker was purchased separately at the time I bought the refrigerator. The ice maker model is IM115. I found the model number has a 2 at the end - FRT18B5JM2.

Sorry for the delayed reply, Alden. Had to tend to my garden.

What you need to do is determine if the ice maker is getting water from the water inlet valve.

To do that pull the unit away from the wall and follow the water line from the homes source to the inlet valve. There should be two wires going to it. Turn the ice maker off and wait a minuet. Turn it back on, and test the wires for 120vac. If there is power replace the inlet valve. If no power please let me know and we can continue from there.

Here is a picture showing what the valve looks like.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Were you able to do the test, Alden?

Please let me know if you have any questions about the testing.

Best, Smitty.

**How to rate your expert**

Hey Smitty.

Sorry for the delay - the refrigerator is at my daughter's condo and I've just gotten a chance to get there.

I did as you said and do not have power in the 2 wires connected to the inlet valve. Can you give me the next steps?

Thanks,

Alden

The Home Smithy, Home Builder