Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

How do you completely gut a bathroom ? What type of walls

How do you completely gut...
How do you completely gut a bathroom ? What type of walls do you put up in the room and the bath area to make it water proof? thank you
7/6/2013
Josie-Mod

I'm Josie and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator

No answer yet except someone suggested that we use a plastic coated with epoxy on both sides. Put that up on the walls (the wall board will be removed) and then put the tiles on the front. Makes the walls more even but they still need to be water proof. With what and is this a good idea?

thanks Sue

Hello

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Josie~Moderator

Perhaps you can have someone tell me what products to use on bathroom walls to make it easy to put up a new wall that is water proof and then an easy way to put on the tile to make it even, thanks sue

Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

In a tub/shower enclosure the best wall board product (you attach the wall board to the bare studs) as a backer for tile is Denshield by Georgia Pacific it's also goes by Densgaurd at some of the big box stores. It's a reinforced gypsum wall baord than has a water proof coating on one side. You set your tile on this. Your tile once properly grouted and caulked where it meets the tub is what makes your enclosure walls waterproof. On the rest of the wall in tha bathroom you would use moisture and/or mold resistant sheet rock.

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor