Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

i have a recently renovated 2 unit. 2 years since total reno. new…

Customer Question
i have a recently renovated...
i have a recently renovated 2 unit. 2 years since total reno.

new tenant.every time she cooks the alarms go off.

first floor alarm is in living room, not kitchen

she says there's no smoke

could it be sensing something electrical like a surge from the stove

i am frankly confused.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
6/18/2013
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 5 years ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

You don't need visible smoke for ionizing type detectors to alarm. Current codes now require that smoke detectors on the same level as the kitchen be the photocell type to eliminate these all too common false alarms

Rick :

The stove is (or should be) on a separate circuit so it's not a likely cause of this problem.

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
interesting. i just bought the 6 pack of detectors. so that one needs to be a different type? just read the boxes?
You most likely have all ionizing type detectors which are prone to false alarms from any cooking activity. It's a pretty easy fix to just replace the problem detector with one that is a photcell type. Just be sure it's the same manufacturer if there is more than 1 smoke in this unit