Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

when putting up stone facing on an outdoor BBG grill structure…

Customer Question
when putting up stone facing...
when putting up stone facing on an outdoor BBG grill structure if the cement mix I was told should be 3 bags sand to 1 bag of cement I noticed the man putting it up only used roughly 3 bags of sand to 2 bags of cement, can this be a problem down the road
with the stone possibly coming off the wall?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
I would like to know over time what can happen ex: can the stone facing fall of from this mix 1 bag of sand to 1 bag of cement .. a large portion of the facing has been done with this mixture
6/18/2013
Home Improvement Expert: The Home Smithy, Home Builder replied 5 years ago
The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Hi. Welcome to Pearl .com.
I'm Smitty, and I will be answering your question today.
If the work is above ground and not structural the mix should be 5:1.
You can measure it out however you want. By the shovel full, bucket full, or any other method except weight. The measurements must be in volume as the weights of the two components are considerably different. The sand will be moist and the cement is dry.
If you like add a volume of hydrated lime for added strength and weather resistance. The ratio would then be 5:1:1.
Please let me know if you need anything else.
Best, Smitty
If anything both mixtures are probably rich in cement. I don't think you are going to have a problem, no.
I see you have not rated my service yet. Is there anything else I can help you with?