Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

We have a 1991 toyota mini warrior, thecovering on the shower…

We have a 1991 toyota...
We have a 1991 toyota mini warrior, thecovering on the shower walls is coming down, some of the wood behind the wallpaper looking covering is sticking to this.Can we fix this ourselves?
6/11/2013
Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Welcome to Just Answer

Whether you can accomplish the best long term fix depends on the level of your carpentry skills. The best option would be to cover the walls with fiberglass panels. You would have to cut the standard sized panels (available at most lumber yards and some home centers) to fit with pretty tight seams (not much more than 1/8" gap) then stick the panels to the walls with construction adhesive made for shower surrounds. You would caulk the seams with silicone caulking. Of course the wood behind the existing covering would have to be in good shape. It not that rotten wood would have to be cut out and replaced. If the some of the existing covering is still well bonded to the wood it can stay and you'd only have to cut out what falling off

What type of wood should we use if we need to replace it behind the shower wall covering & should we just make a pattern from what we pull down of the wall paper? Thank You so much, you have been very helpful.

If you can pull down the old wallcovering in one piece then it may make a useful pattern but if the panels are rectangular a pattern is probably not necessary. Pressure treated plywood would be best but if you can't get the treated plywood in the proper thickness then exterior grade plywood is acceptable.
Rick
Rick, General Contractor