Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a basement watchdog battery backup system that earlier…

Customer Question
I have a basement watchdog...
I have a basement watchdog battery backup system that earlier this week said the charger was bad or power is off. Double checked and the power and circuit breaker is definatly on. Now after a little rain the battery is completely discharged and alarm going off. I disconnected the battery to turn the alarm off and saw what looked like the battery acid in the case. For the night I would like to have something working. I could pull the battery out of my truck but know it is not a deep cycle battery. Would that work for the night or just ruin the battery.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
6/6/2013
Home Improvement Expert: Jeremy, General Contractor replied 5 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, General Contractor

Jeremy :

Hi there! My name is Jeremy.

Jeremy :

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your battery back-up sump pump system!

JACUSTOMER-55o7o3z0- :

Hey Jeremy thank you for taking my question

Jeremy :

It sounds to me like it is time to invest in a new deep cycle battery (about $70?). Those batteries should be considered a maintenance item and replaced on occasion, which is what we recommend to our clients when we put them in (get a few years out of them, and that's about it).

Jeremy :

However, that's not your question tonight. I would not recommend using your car battery.

JACUSTOMER-55o7o3z0- :

That was what I was thinking/afraid of

JACUSTOMER-55o7o3z0- :

the battery and entire system was installed 2 months ago

Jeremy :

A car battery is designed to provide a large amount of power for a short period of time (so you can start a car, for instance). A deep cycle battery provides a steady power for a longer period of time. They are also rated for mechanical load. I don't believe your car battery will do the trick.

JACUSTOMER-55o7o3z0- :

that was my thought as well but wanted to double check that was correct while trying to find a way to protect the basement for the night

Jeremy :

For fun, make sure that the battery isn't one of those batteries where you can pop the cover off and re-fill with distilled water. Probably isn't. But you could check to see if the water is dry.

JACUSTOMER-55o7o3z0- :

It is actually the basement watchdog battery you can fill but all the plates are still covered

Jeremy :

Oh, also of note, a deep cycle battery is designed to be drained over and over again. Car batteries are not designed that way, and running the pump off of it would destroy the car battery. Hope that helps, and the best to you as you figure this out.

Jeremy :

Did you survive the night without the sump pump?

Jeremy :

You said the system is only two months old? So the battery is two months old? I assume you added Watchdog battery acid to the battery before using it? If it is only two months old, you may want to return it to where you bought it and ask them why it isn't holding a charge.

Hi Darren!

Were you able to get a replacement for your sump pump battery? How did things work out? Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!

Jeremy