Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Have a GE Profiler Refrigerator, bottom freezer, Model #PDS20MBWAWW

19.5 cf Thermostat seems erratic, temperature...
Have a GE Profiler Refrigerator, bottom freezer, Model #PDS20MBWAWW 19.5 cf

Thermostat seems erratic, temperature of freezer and refrigerator are fluctuating much more than usual. Open space above is 1/4 to 1/2 inch; behind is now 1-1/4 inch (I moved it out some, before it was basically touching the back wall); hinge side is 2- 1/2 inch; left side is nearly touching from counter down to base, upper half entirely open.

Two people in the house using it daily.

How can we tabilize the temperatures?
5/30/2013
The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.
When was the last time you pulled the unit out and cleaned the condenser coils? If it has been more than a year then that would be a good place to start.
Considering the limited amount of space for air flow to the condenser coils any dust accumulation would cause a problem like this.
Go ahead and do this and then let the unit run for a while and see if you still have the same problem.
If you do please let me know and we can go from there.
If this resolves the problem please be sure to return and rate my service.
Best, Smitty
The Home Smithy, Home Builder

I don't remember when I, or anyone, cleaned the coils, so I vacuumed them, blew out dust as well, just a few minutes ago. There really was very little accumulation, just a light coating on some of the coils.

So, now I will wait and see what happens to the temperature. I'll check back with you later after observing the thermometers. Will I be able to reply directly to you? I'm going to log off for now.

Yes. Just return here and I will reply. I will be out in the field most of tomorrow but will check with you before I go to work if I do not hear from you tonight.

I decided to keep an eye on it. The compressor and frame around that area were getting very hot, too hot to touch. I see the fan is not running even when the compressor is running. So, for the time being, I set up a floor fan to keep fresh air passing thru, and everything has cooled off except the compressor. Looks like there is a fan issue. I don't have any meter to check for power to the fan. If it has to be replaced, what is the procedure?

If the fan is not working you need to find out if there is voltage going to it. With the compressor that hot you could end up causing damage to it if it stays hot.

Keep the fan going on it and see if the compressor cools down enough so that you can touch it without burning yourself. If the fan will keep it cool go ahead and keep using it. If it stays hot it would be best to turn it off until you can get a volt meter and check for voltage to the fan.

If there is voltage replace the fan. If there isnt replace the control board.

The Home Smithy, Home Builder

Thank you very much. I had to call a local service man, since I don't have a meter or the tools necessary to remove and replace the fan. End result, the motor was OK; the control panel had to be replaced, and the service man had both in his truck. fridge working much quieter now, temp remaining fairly constant!

Just thought you would like to know you had the right diagnosis.

The Home Smithy, Home Builder