Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Hello my name isXXXXX daughter recently bought a home

in Tennessee.the problem is we...
Hello my name isXXXXX daughter recently bought a home in Tennessee.the problem is we have had alot of rain here lately which causes the back yard to flood. the water stands in the yard at least 2 days.We have talk to the builder about the water problem and they are telling us that if the water does'nt stand more than 72 hours then it's not a problem. In the meantime the water is drawing mosquito.also due to the water problem no one will't do the work until we have the water problem fix.my daughter is a disable vet and is on a fix income. thanks you for your assistance.
5/24/2013
Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor

Good morning Denise.

My name's Kel.

Sounds like you have two problems.

One with a warranty and the builder.

The other the drainage problem.

Is this a new home?

Did you buy it directly from the builder?

Is there anything in the contract about drainage performance?

How large is the home?

How large is the backyard?

Are there gutters?

Is there new grass in place?

The house is new it was built in 2012. we have live in the house for about 5 months. It's a very large house and large backyard I don't know the square in the footage the home is my daughter home.yes ye have gutters .they put grass seed in the back yard,but the rain has washed some of the grass seed away. which cause several pools of water when it rains.she purchase the house directly from the builder. she has a 1 year contrat but I don't know is the drainage is cover in the contract.

Did you watch the home being built?

In the area where the pooling occurs was there any extensive excavation?

Was debris from building buried there?

We lived in another state when the house was being built. I am not sure about the excavation. this a new development. they are still building homes here

First thing to do is to read the contract.

There should be a section about drainage performance and remedies.

One way builders save money is not to consolidate excavations when they're backfilling. That means after a hole's been dug it should be filled in by layers with each layer compacted. This keeps the land from sinking.

Don't know if it was incompetence or negligence or oversight that's causing the ponding.

The fix is fairly simple.

Depending on the depth of the pond it could be filled with top soil then new grass planted.

The key is to look at the ENTIRE property and its relationship to the surroundings.

Your property can't drain on to a neighbors.

The discharge from the gutters should be at least five feet from the home.

There could be soil with A LOT of clay. This makes it hard for the rain to drain.

The clay can be dug up and replaced with river rock -- about 1 to 1 1/2" in diameter. Then covered with soil then seeded.

The rain will be held in the space between the stones and slowly released into the grown.

A landscaping contractor would be the person to call.

An approximate price to fill with top soil and seed is 1700$. Would be less if your daughter's in the country.

To excavate, add rock, add soil + seed price would be around 3500$

If the builder won't budge you might contact your local Habitat for Humanity or Rebuilding Together. They help people with disabilities. . .

Have I answered your question?

Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor

Thank you so much you have been a great to me.

Hello again Denise. This's Kel. Checking in to see how the drainage problem's getting resolved. . .
Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene
Dovetail Greene, General Contractor