Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a Craftsman 1/4 HP Model 139.53100 garage door opener

which has an internal transmitter...
I have a Craftsman 1/4 HP Model 139.53100 garage door opener which has an internal transmitter that no longer is working and am installing a Genie 315390R2 Universal Radio Receiver Conversion Kit which is an external transformer kit. I installed the new transformer and set the code for it following the instruction provided. When I press the remote the transmitter flashes but the opener does not react. If I press the wall button for the opener all works properly. The transmitter is wired to the same connection points but the transmitter does not activate the opener like the wall button does. What could be causing this?
5/20/2013
Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Hi there and welcome to Just Answer.

I see some time has gone by on your question, do you still need help with this?

Let me know
Yes I am still waiting for help with this but I am no longer at the site where the garage door opener is.
I am wondering if your wording was a little mixed up in your original question.

Do you mean the "receiver" in the opener is not working with the remote controls anymore?
The garage door opener has not worked with its remote for quite a while. New batteries in the remote did not fix the problem so I am installing an external transmitter to take its place. I have done this on other garage door openers and they work just fine but this particular one is not responding to the universal radio receiver conversion kit that I have installed. It responds just fine to the original wall button but not to the new receiver.
OK, this means that the receiver is faulty or has a hardware problem. The wall button is hard wired and does not work with the RF system.

So on your opener no RF system will work.
Daniel, Electrical Engineer
What do you mean by RF. I am not that knowledgeable about that term? So Is there no repaior for it or can it be bypassed?
Sorry, Radio Frequency. The board in the opener will need to be replaced. I am unable to find the p[art number for this, how old is the opener?

The Universal Radio Receiver Conversion has a board which responds to the remote that comes with it. It is hard wired to the garage door opener and is connected to the same contacts that the garage door wall button are hard wired to. The board in the opener is no longer available and this device is meant to externally receive the signal from its remote and activate the garage door opener. Any idea why it is not working on this opener?
Disconnect the wall button terminals and try again. Let me know
I won't be able to work on this garage door opener until this afternoon. Thanks for the response but I have already tried that. Any other ideas?
Can you put a meter on the wires from the receiver kit and tell me if you see any voltage changes when the button is pressed?
Thank You again for your response. That is one of the things I plan to do this afternoon. I will let you know what I find out this afternoon.
OK, let me know
Thank You for your help but I have come to the conclusion that I am going to replace this old outdated garage door opener. Parts are no longer available and all I am doing at this point is wasting time. We tried but sometimes there just isn't an easy quick fix. Thanks again.
No problem.

Have a great day!
Daniel, Electrical Engineer