Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a wayne dalton quantum (5 years old). It began having

issues when it would only...
I have a wayne dalton quantum (5 years old). It began having issues when it would only move up when i clicked the remote like 5 times, since it would only move about 2 feet every time. It kept getting worse until it would only move 1 foot each time. The move down was fine but not the move up. I fiddled with it a bit , then it did not work at all and gave me a buzzing sound. I bought a capaciter as per the advice of someone online. It does not work at all and this guy wants to sell me a board. I do not trust this guy as he is a it rude and i think he just wants me to buy parts, so i wanted to come here and ask for help

Thanks
5/14/2013
Brian
Brian, Architect
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

Sorry to hear about your garage door opener problem.

The opener may be trying too hard to open the door either because the spring(s) is weak or broken or the tracks/ rollers are bent or need lubricating. If the opener is humming, I would definitely check these out. The opener does not do the heavy lifting of the door, the springs do all the work, the opener just aids in moving the door open. I would verify that the cables to the springs are still on the pulleys (if you have this type). I would also verify that the door is not going up slightly crooked, just enough to bind.

Perform the following tests:

First, I would close the door and then disconnect the door from the trolley and operate the door manually. The door NEEDS to roll smoothly and not bind on anything and it NEEDS to be balanced and stay at any point you stop it. If the door wants to go down by itself the springs are weak and at fault; have a qualified service technician fix/ adjust them...they can be very dangerous to work with since they are under extreme tension.

Second, operate the opener without the door attached and see if it operates correctly. The trolley will fully go up and down if working properly.

Performing these tests will help narrow down whether the door/ tracks or the motor unit is giving you the problem.

Please let me know what you find from these tests and we can proceed from there.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

I did test this before i purchased the capacitor. The door rolls fine and i did lubricate the door a bit more as well. The door did not operate when it was not on the pully...it still did not work.

Any ideas?

Does the trolley move without the door attached or does it act the same?

ok i am making progress. I changed the capicitor wires and now it works in the way that at least it wants to go up and the motor is turning. The chain is not. when i look at the motor i see the top part of the shaft turning. The gears are not moving

I don't know enough about the capacitor and motor connections so I will opt out and allow another expert to finish helping you.
Brian
Brian, Architect
Brian
Brian
Brian, Architect