Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

We have a 2400 feet home with painted hardy board siding and

black singled roofing. We want...
We have a 2400 feet home with painted hardy board siding and black singled roofing. We want to replace a rotten backyard deck with a screened in patio area. We have one estimate for a 10' x 17' screen room on concrete foundation. 2" aluminum framing with 1 door- Rhino aluminum Roof System and building Permit for $ 13,500. (You probably have no idea if this sounds like a reasonable price? We live in North Carolina.) We have an other builder who says he can do something for less, but not in aluminum.

We want to do something which, even if it does not add an equal amount of value to the house, at least adds some value to the house. Do you have a suggestion for a wood screened in patio porch or the aluminum one?

Thanks,
5/10/2013
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

The primary benefit of the aluminum is the low maintenance but these aluminum structure tend to lack any aesthetic appeal

Rick :

I would get more specific from your other contractor on just what he is proposing for a wood structure

Customer:

How much yearly maintenance / cost is wood?

Customer:

I assume we'd want some sort of treated wood, then painted to match the house?

Rick :

It can be done in a way where the maintenance is minimal

Rick :

Actually I'd stain it a solid color to match. The stain will last longer

Rick :

yes pressure treated where you are is advisable

Customer:

I am meeting with the aluminum guy tomorrow, and the wood guy on Monday. Do you have specific questions you'd ask each?

Rick :

Aluminum structures like this are pretty standard. You just need to be sure it's code compliant

Customer:

So in terms of adding value to the house (or at least not subtracting value) you'd opt for a built wooden structure, yes?

Rick :

Absolutely, wood will add more to the value of the house. Aluminum can look cheap and won't age as well

Rick :

So wood will cost less initially and add more to the value and appeal of the house

Rick :

You just need specifics from the wood guy

Rick :

What it will look like

Rick :

Ask for a drawing

Rick :

You can still incorporate some aluminum features into the wood structure. Screen frames, for example, would be better in aluminum

Customer:

Okay, any other specific questions, e.g. type of wood? (besides pressure treated)

Rick :

The pressure treated is typically SYP (southern yellow pine) where you are but the wood specie is not critical

Rick :

I would assume the roof would be wood framed and shingled to match the house

Rick :

Also if the screens aren't floor to ceiling I'd expect the siding below would be Hardie board like the house. Screen should be removable

Rick :

I don't know if you're in the mountains where it might snow more but removable screens that can be replaced with glass panels would be beneficial anyway. To make the room more 3+ seasonal

Customer:

Okay, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX It sounds like wood also gives us more design options, since aluminum is pre-cut and more standardized...

Customer:

If there is nothing else you want to add, I think that answers all my questions for now...

Rick :

Yes and wood will looks much better

Rick :

That should cover it

Customer:

Okay, thanks!

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor