Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

hot attic

Customer Question
Hello I need...

Hello I need a precise answer and not a generic one, otherwise I wont authorize payment. I bought a 1000 sq foot bungalow in Nov 2011 with hip roof Prior to the winter, I had over another foot of insulation placed in to r50 I discovered in the spring, I had about a 1/2 sq foot for soffit fresh air intake through 5 soffit intakes. 4 passive exhaust vents are on the roof for apprx 1.8 sq feet I had additional soffits placed in for an extra 2 1/2 square feet for fresh air so total around 3 sq feet Also a couple more exhaust passive vents put in for an additional 0.8 sq feet So intake is 3sq feet and exhaust around 2.6sq feet I was tired of playing around with the roof and attic and had my new 1.5 tonne Bryant ac work last summer. Also made sure the soffit roof bays were clear of insulation through baffles. I noticed while other neighbours had their ac turn off in the summer, mine was working more. It seemed in the evg, the house temperature would continue to rise Summer nights don't cool off either anymore like they did once This year with the real hot temperatures yet to come The outdoor temp was 68F and when I climbed into the attic, the temp was 113F HOW DO I ADDRESS this???????????????

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/7/2013
Home Improvement Expert: Martin, Electrical Engineer replied 4 years ago
Martin, Electrical Engineer
Hello and welcome.

Your insulation may have blocked soffit airflow. The area of ventilation may have changed with higher insulation level. So the same area of soffit as before may not mean as much area for the air flow (a bit like being in front of a soccer goal net give a larger area than when you are in diagonal with it).

That roof would probably benefit from a "ridge vent" on the horizontal ridge.

If you have the roof to be replaced in the coming years you can ask contractors around that install membrane allowing for vegetal roofing. That is the best way to keep an attic really cool. You can also look into geothermal (earth-air heat exchangers). Those require good draining of the condensation to not cause the problem to happen in the roof but if you have area to dig it can be really effective as it provide the kind of fresh air found in a basement.

You cant put a ridge vent on a hip roof.
Already stated, the soffits were cleared and the baffles allow for the air to channel through from the soffit to the attic cavity.

Your other solutions give me no benefit now and more theoretical jibber jabber.

You are an electrical guy

I shall pass on your answer!

Home Improvement Expert: Dr. Fix-It, Handyman replied 4 years ago
Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Handyman

Hi I am Dr.Fix-It, Your online expert ready to assist you...

`

Thanks for your patience in looking into this, have you considered adding a solar powered exhaust fan to the hip roof? The Fan will come one when the heat rises and the sun will power the fan too so will cool the home and not cost you any extra too :)

Please see this link for the models offered > http://www.sunrisesolar.net/

`

Have a look and let me know if will work for you ?

`

graphic

Please only rate my answer ok, great, or EXCELLENT after we have worked on the issue together to your satisfaction. Bonuses are welcomed & appreciated. Thank You . . . Dr-Fix-It-Advise.com

Solar ones only work during the day

WHat about at night time when its still hot

WHat about cross interferences, you install this and it will pull air not from the lower soffits but the other exhaust fans on the roof top

Cmon doc!

Yes the solar fan will not run during the night, but as the fan is running all day the heat does not build up in the attic and by sun down the natural air flow will suffice to normalize the temperature... You are not trying to chill the attic but maintain a balance temperature compared to the outdoor area so do not have the excessive the high temps trapped above your living space that may cause your central air to work more then say a home with a large tree to shade the home from direct sunlight.

If you have other exhaust fans already they should be as high as possible and at opposite ends to create a good upward airflow in the entire attic space, the vacuum effect will pull the heat out as the cooler air is drawn in from the soffit vents.

1. What is the recommended sq footage for intake and exhaust on a 1000 sq foot bungalow with a hip roof

2. I have a hip roof - 4 quadrants. I have a total of 6 passive exhaust vents (apprx 2 1/2 sq feet). I am scared it will throw everything off if one power vent comes into the equation, doc!

Just can install one 15 watt model exhaust fan central to all four quadrants, that will provide plenty of upward airflow and any other passive vents will also assist by allowing the hot air to vacate the attic as the cool air pushing its way in.

`

reference installation guide> http://www.sunrisesolar.net/images/Installation_Instructions_Flat_Base_Solar_Fan.pdf

`

& reference videos > http://www.youtube.com/user/solarfanman

You didn't answer my other posed questions

Are you a really a doc or a solar salesman.......lol

goodnight

I noticed you have already covered the basics of this issue quite intensively last year, so did not want to repeat and have re-recommend adding the exhaust fan... If do not want solar, can add a hardwired unit that will allow the fan to run till the temperature drops below the set point even after dark. The wired units do cost less and both solar or hardwired will keep the airflow moving at a better rate to help your home stay cool in the hot weather. I have installed a few and it does make a world of a difference, as with exhaust running can actually feel the cool air flow come in and it is bearable to be in the attic even midday.

`

Also can provide shade for the outside half of your central A/C if at all possible, this can help increase the unit’s efficiency by 5 percent to 10 percent.

`

graphic

`

Please let me know any specific concern and will see what can diagnose for you, have a good night too...

U don't know how to size up the minimum exhaust/intake calculations. Cant view my historical questions and reference those not to answer yourself

I might be seeking a second opinion

Its unrealistic to install 4 power vents whether electric or solar. Also they come in 10, 20, 30 watts which you failed to point out.

I shall pass on the answer now for its lack of thoroughness.

Home Improvement Expert: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 4 years ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator

I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Michelle

close the question

CLose the question, I was asking if 15 dollars is adequate!!

Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Handyman