Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Hi, I was told silcone sealer put inside a window frame will

seal the window completely is...
Hi, I was told silcone sealer put inside a window frame will seal the window completely is this true? I have a window that sits low inside my basement. My son keeps coming through that window when he forgets his key. What can I do o seal that window off so it can never be opened? Cheree
5/4/2013
Rick
Rick, General Contractor

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Rick :

Yes you can seal the window shut by caulking around the perimeter of the sash with silicone.

Rick :

Be sure the surfaces are clean. It will take 24 hours to cure

Customer:

I have a teenage son and on sevseral occasions he has come through tat window well last night i noticed that thw window screen was up and the caulk around it pulled off. he aid he did not do it I want to seal that window until I can get burgular bars around them.

Rick :

If the surfaces aren't clean the silicone won't bond

Customer:

Can I built a brick wall around it. so on the out side it looks normal but if someone opens tha window they will see a brick wall. Can this be done?

Rick :

Yes if you have enough room for the brick

Customer:

By the way ..what is sash?

Rick :

It's the part of the window that moves

Customer:

I do Rick, the window is inside my garage and it faces the back yad and I hae a lot of oods back there. I really want to close off that window completely. Its not a "neccassary" needed windpw. What can I use to do it my self?

Customer:

sorry for the errors i was n a hurry

Rick :

Bricking in a window is not a DIY project. It takes a skilled mason to make it look right.

Rick :

Is the window in the foundation or is it a wood framed wall?

Customer:

my basement wall is concrete. How can I tell what things to buy to use to brick off that window?

Customer:

The window i in a frame

Rick :

Like I said if you want it to look good and you have no masonry skills this isn't something you can do yourself

Customer:

I want to built a brick wall from th inside that would be built infront of the contrete wall. so the window is copletely blocked of from the inside

Rick :

Do you see my last answer?

Rick :

Do you have any masonry experience?

Customer:

no

Rick :

You could board up the window but if you want it to blend in with the concrete wall you'll need a mason

Rick :

Have you every done any plastering?

Customer:

ok, I understand. so, before I let you go, i want to make sure he window can be bricked in I just need a professional person to do it right?

Rick :

Yes a pro can do this. There are a couple different way to do it.

Customer:

No plastering. I don't know what that is. sorry just a mom who's tied of running into people who say they can do the work and find out the can't and I'm left with having to find dependable people to do it.

Customer:

Oh and what ways are those? if I may ask/

Rick :

You could try a referral service like Home Advisor.com

Customer:

hmmm. never thought about that. Thanks

Rick :

The easiest way would be to frame in the opening with pressure treated plywood then cover it with wire lathe (mesh) and stucco it. Much more trouble would be to actually brick it in and stucco the brick

Customer:

Ok.Thanks XXXXX have to go now, Its been a pleasure chatting with you. You were very very helpful. have a nice day. Cheree

Rick :

You're welcome!

Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor