Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a liftmaster 400 gate opener. My lawnperson tried to

I have a liftmaster 400...
I have a liftmaster 400 gate opener. My lawnperson tried to manually push the gate open, and it started this real loud siren type consistent noise. I cannot get the gates to close back, they are slightly ajar. How do I get them to close/open back automatically by remote?
5/3/2013
Rich
Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast

Rich :

Hello .. Rich here . I will try and help you today. will the gate respond at all to open or close?

Rich :

does it sound like it wants to ? or is there no reaction or sound at all ?

Customer:

it won't respond at all...no sound or anything. the lawn guy was trying to push it open, so i was trying to use the remote at the same time, and that is when the alarm type buzzing occurred for a couple of minutes, then it stopped. i am sure there has to be a reset button or something that can be done to reset it. i just don't know where it is

Rich :

OK . the buzzing might have been the gate trying to work against the guy pushing on it . It may have damaged the electronics or the mechanical parts of the gate mechanism

Customer:

So, what can I do in the mean time to try and rectify or see if something can be reset. What normally happens when someone tries to manually push it open.

Rich :

Just a minute I am checking a source for you

Customer:

ok

Rich :

I think that there is a reset button on the lower right side of the control box

Rich :

If you do not see it on the outside of the control box , then look just inside the box for it

Customer:

ok...do i have to open..

Customer:

the control box

Rich :

the reset button should be on the outside of the box on the lower right ??

Customer:

ok...im going to go out and see if i can find it

Rich :

You can look for yourself at the manual page 39 I think

Customer:

ok

Rich :

if the remote does not work after you reset it ,, maybe the remote needs to be synced with the controller again

Customer:

i will try the box

Customer:

The reset button did not work

Rich :

what happened .. no reaction from the remote ?

Rich :

do you know how to re-sync the remote

Rich :

THe manual says that if the gate meets an obstruction it will stop opperation and will alarm .. thats just what it did then it says that resetting the control will restore opperation

Customer:

I even tried inputting the code on the control box to open/close the gate, the control box let a series of 2-3 beeps when I did that

Rich :

That beeping is a signal that the battery is under the desired opperating voltage .. try replacing the battery

Rich :

looks like there are 2 - 12volt batteries

Rich :

the gate can be opperated manually by disconnecting the arm a key goes into the trop of the lock .. turn 180 degrees ... then turn release lever 180 degrees both counter clockwise

Customer:

i will try that...the batteries had already been replaced, btw. I know how the beeps sound when the batteries are low and not operating off power, they are continuous series of 3 beeps that don't stop, so i know it's not that.

Rich :

ok

Rich :

we are sure that there is no obstruction .. right

Customer:

obsturction where though? There is absolutely nothing in the driveway, and i am not sure of any other area where obstruction would be

Rich :

just checking , mainly because you are my eyes for this

Customer:

i am going to try and find the keys and manually open/close the gates

Rich :

well I have advised you with my experience and the material in the opperating manual .. the last chance would be to call the company tech service 1-800-528-2806 .. sorry I could not resolve this with you

Rich :

Please take a minute to rate my service . If you have any other questions, just reply on this question please– . Thank you!!

Rich
Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Rich
Rich
Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast