Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener Model No. 139.53663SRT2

that was intstalled in 1998...
I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener Model No. 139.53663SRT2 that was intstalled in 1998. The problem is in the remote function. It opens fine with the remote, but will not close--I have to shut it with the pad mounted on the wall. I have changed the batteries to the remote. Any thoughts of what is wrong?
4/9/2013
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

When using the wall button, doe it close with just a simple one push on the button or do you have to hold the button until the door is closed?

Can you see the antenna wire on the opener in the ceiling, hanging down and still intact?

Thanks

It closes with a simple one push of the button. Yes, I can see the antenae wire hanging down and still intact.

Thanks for the information.

Can you do a test for me?

Open the door with the remote.

Wait until the light turns off on the opener, before attempting to close with the remote.
Do not try with the light on.

If you have an energy saver bulb in the opener, it will affect the remote operation when the light is on.

CFL or LED bulbs cannot be installed on the openers.

Unfortunately, I am at the office now and not at home. However, I do have CFL bulbs in the opener. I will remove the bulbs tonight and try it without the CFL bulbs and let you know the result tomorrow.

Ok, thanks.

It happens quite often.
The CFL's actually emit a frequency and it interferes with the remotes telling the opener what to do.

Thanks. I am hoping you have identified the problem. I will let you know tomorrow.

Thank you.
No need to respond to this post as the system requires me to post last on any communications.

Tommy, I changed my CFL bulbs to regular bulbs but it did not help the problem. However, the remote did close the door after I waited until the light on the garage door went out before I pushed the button. Now what?

Ok, it is a standard incandescent bulb and 20 watts or so I assume.

Sounds like the trigger on the main board is faulting out when the bulb relay is activated.

The main board has a relay mounted that turns the light on, so when there is an overheat on the relay, it can fault the board from the remotes since they operate frequency and not through contacts.

Try this now.
Unscrew the bulb and see if you can open the door and then close it right after, waiting only 10 seconds after opening.

Will let us know if possible small amount of wattage through the relay is the issue, or the relay itself.

There are motion activated lights on the market I always suggest when the light only is the issue on the openers.
Gives a light separate from the opener and keeps from having to change the board.

Motion Sensor Plug-CLICK HERE

If it is the relay itself, a new board is in order unfortunately.

Yes, it contains two standard 60 watt incandescent bulbs. I will try your suggestion (unscrewing the bulbs) this evening when I return home--I'm at the office now. I will report back to you this evening or in the morning. Thanks.

ok, thanks

Tommy, I tried unscrewing the bulbs and opening and closing the door. It opened just fine but would not close. I screwed the bulbs back in and waited until they went off and then the door would close with the remote. So what do think is the problem?

Well, ruled out the bulbs themselves.

Was hoping it would be the small amount of current to the bulbs that was interrupting the circuits.

Nothing left here except the relay on the board is causing the malfunction.

So, whether the relay is heating a component on the board or the board itself has an issue, the board change out is really the only option at this point as I see it.

The components on the boards are not sold as repair parts, but if someone was an electronics guru, they could troubleshoot the board and replace them I suppose.

The board number is XXXXX D4674-11
But it looks like it has been replaced with a newer version
41 D4674-10H

CLICK HERE for a look at the board

They are not that difficult to change, depending on everyone's abilities.

Cost wise, cheaper than a new opener, but if you look at the nameplate where you got the Model number, you should find a Date.
Recommendations are when over 10-12 years old, change the openers.

Still is a matter of each ones opinions/preference

Tommy, I appreciate all your help. It did appear to be a circuit board and considering that the opener is 15 years old, I have decided to replace the entire opener with a Craftsman 3/4 hp belt drive Assure Link opener.

Ok, thanks for the info and opportunity.

Wish it had been something easier than the board.

Your choice for a new is a nice opener, should give as many years service as the last one.

Take care
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist