Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

my opener is working, but will not lift door. but it will close

it. what the heck is...
my opener is working, but will not lift door. but it will close it. what the heck is wrong ?
4/6/2013
Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor

Charles :

Hello, and thanks for your question! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today!!

Charles :

Is this a roll up door or a flat door?

Charles :

You seem to be offline so I will give you a couple of things to check and then I will check back with you in a while to see if you left me a reply.

Charles :

If you have a sectional roll up type door with springs that run along the top of the door, then check to make sure 1 of them didn't break or come loose.

Charles :

hi

Customer:

roll up. and it's wood. weighs about 200 lbs?

Charles :

Ok, did you check both springsd to be sure they are both intact?

Charles :

They can look good at first glance

Customer:

both appear normal

Charles :

but unlike the traditional springs, these will normally stay in place and look normal when infact they have broken and spun loose. this will cause the opener to not work to open the door but will close it because it takes so much force to open

Customer:

felt them, do not appear to be cracked

Charles :

ok, how old is the opener, and is this a chain, belt or screw drive?

Charles :

When you lift the door by hand, how hard is it to open?

Charles :

Hello?

Customer:

when we hit button to lift , i can manually lift but it takes force because i have to lift as fast or slow as opener will allow

Charles :

Have you tried to release the trolly so you can move the door manually?

Customer:

yep, just tried to lift door. it was easy after pulling cord.

Charles :

Good, so the springs are intact!!

Charles :

did this just happen or has it been getting worse over time?

Customer:

happened about 2 years ago, just getting around to hating not having a properly working garage door opener.

Charles :

lol, I can totally understand that !!

Charles :

The openers will usually have a "upforce adjustment" to increase the amount of force opening the door. But to be honest, if the door is as heavy as you say, the opener is most likey worn out

Charles :

With a door that heavy the opener should no less than 3/4 horse power, 1 horse power would be best

Charles :

the electric motors will over heat and start to lose lifting power.

Charles :

If the opener is over 10 years old, I would buy a new opener because the cost of repairing it will be almost as much as a new opener, and after the time and money spent repairing it you still have a 10 year old+ opener

Customer:

where is this"upforce adjustment" ?

Charles :

What make and model is the opener?

Charles :

They are usually located under the cover that hides the motor and will be a small knob or screw that you can turn

Customer:

srt1, that's all i can see, the last 4 digits. sears 1/2 hp from '02.

Charles :

Ok thanks. I will see if I can find anything with the partial number

Charles :

Ok, when I look nothing comes up.

Charles :

But I will tell you that the opener is way under powered for that size if door

Customer:

think i see up force thingy. 2 pictures with arrow up, and arrow down. i turned adjuster screw to further up, but same problem. did not turn down screw.when i pick door up manually, does not seem to weigh too much, maybe 100 or so.

Charles :

Ok, the opener sounds like its motor is burned up

Customer:

motor is trying to pick door up, just won't

Customer:

lowers door no problem

Charles :

the motor parts have over heated and are no longer able to provide the needed power to lift the door. Closing the door takes next to no power at all. The windings in the motor burn and will stop functioning as they should.

Customer:

so, time to get a new one?

Charles :

that's what happens when an under powered opener is used to open to big / heavy of a door

Charles :

I would. These openers are only designed to last an average of 10 years before they start to fail

Charles :

you will spend $125 for a new opener or around $100 to repair the old one

Charles :

and at the end of the repair you still have an old opener that's going to have another part fail sooner rather than later

Customer:

does sears have one for that price ?

Charles :

It will depend if they are on sale or not.

Charles :

The average price starts arout $125 for a 3/4 horse power opener

Charles :

Lowes and Home Depot sell them also

Customer:

allright , i'll start looking, thanks.

Charles :

Your very welcome, sorry I didn't have better news for you. Who ever installed that opener should have used a bigger operner

Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor
Charles
Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor