Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Have a Craftsman garage door opener 139.53677SRT3 and cannot

Have a Craftsman garage door...
Have a Craftsman garage door opener 139.53677SRT3 and cannot program remotes. The remotes have worked since '98 (139.53681B) New batteries installed. Now, as per programming instructions, remotes won't sync. Help?
3/13/2013
Brian
Brian, Architect
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

Sorry to hear about your remote problem. If you are positive that the batteries are in correctly and the remotes were working fine before you changed the batteries, then it sounds like you have a problem with the logic board.

Logic boards are highly sensitive to power surges/ electrical storms and the board may have a burnt solder connection at an area that recognizes or controls the receiving of the remote signal.

A new logic board will cost around $70, unfortunately, and I would put that money towards a new opener since your opener is older than the average lifespan of ten years.

This is probably not your problem, but verify that your antenna is hanging straight down and that it is secure to the logic board. A bad antenna would effect the range of the remotes.

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.

Not the logic board because I was able to program a smaller keychain version of the original remotes and it works.

When you say "opener" are you refering to the SRT or the visor remote?

Also the white wire (being the antenna) is/always fully extended.

Next?

Hi Meg,

When I say opener I'm referring to the motor unit. The logic board is located inside the opener.

Since you are able to get a remote to work (keychain) then that means that the opener is capable of receiving a signal but maybe it's not capable of programming a remote (that could be the part that is burnt on the logic board.)

Can you test this by erasing all codes and then reprogramming the keychain remote to see if you can reprogram it?

If it will reprogram then that means that the opener is capable of reprogramming and I would have to say there is something wrong with the larger remotes...they may need to be replaced.

If the keychain will not reprogram then I would have to say that the logic board is bad.

While waiting for your answer I erased all codes and started from scratch.

I reprogrammed the keychain and that worked. Then I used the same order for one of the previously used remotes and it didn't work.

Tried it for the second and no joy either.

I can't believe that the other 2 "larger" remotes would go belly up at the same time... I don't believe in coincidence.

Any other thoughts?

Yeah, I understand, It is quite odd that they would both go at the same time, but everything is pointing to the larger remotes as the problem.

If the opener can reprogram one remote then it is capable of reprogramming any other compatible remote. I would purchase one new remote; they don't cost that much, and see if you can program it. Everything is telling me that the new one will program. Just make absolutely sure that the new remote is compatible with your opener or it won't work.

Have any cheap aftermarket suggestions in mind that would work with the 139.53677SRT3?

I just saw one on Amazon for $15. There are many other garage door opener supply online shops where you can get one as well.

Just an additional thought....if you have any inclination that one of your current remotes is not original, I have seen the non-original/ non-compatible remote block the signals of the originals. What happens is the "odd ball" remote introduces a different technology. The opener gets confused and will not work or it will work with only one transmitting technology, the one that gets programmed and used first and then the opener doesn't recognize the other remote(s) with the other transmitting technology.

You could try erasing all codes again and then try reprogramming only one of the larger remotes to test this. If the larger remote programs then the keychain remote may be non-compatible or defective (defective in a sense that it is blocking the signals from the larger one.) I hope I'm not confusing you.

WOW mind blower!

I know that only ONE remote came with the installed GDO. The key chain and ONE of the larger remotes were purchased and programmed by me within a week of GDO installation. I can't tell which large remote came with the GDO or was purchased by me. All I can tell you is they all worked until batteries died in large remotes. That's when the party ended.

Ok....sounds like they were all working together, so one is most likely not blocking the others. Try purchasing one new one and programming it from scratch. That should do it. Good luck with it.
Brian
Brian, Architect

Thank you for your time.

You are welcome. Please let me know what you find.
Brian
Brian
Brian, Architect