Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Garage door stops at uneven intervals when going up or down.

I notice every time the...
Garage door stops at uneven intervals when going up or down. I notice every time the door stops the garage door light flashes. Is there a short in the system?

Thanks
5/4/2012
Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright, We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I am glad you are here! My name is Eric & I will endeavor to answer your question.

Please tell me the exact model number of your opener. It should start with 139.

In the meantime, up on the motor are 2 dials which allow adjustment of the up and down force. These are user accessible. They could however, be under the plastic light shield which you might have to remove in order to gain access to them. Sometimes these are just a shaft about 1/4" in diameter sticking out of the back with a slot for a screwdriver and sometimes you have to insert a small screwdriver into a hole. There should be some type of directional indicator telling you which is more and which is less and which is up and which is down. Try increasing both the upward and downward force just a little. If that does not solve the problem, try increasing it just a little more and let me know how it is working after having done that.

Did not work. It seems when light blinks door stops
What is the model #? Which light is blinking?
The model number is XXXXX The light that blinks when the door stops is the light that comes on when you open or close the door.

Hi, The number you have given me 139.53754 is the model number of the remote control. What I need is the model number of the door opener itself.

It would however, seem as though there is an intermittent power interruption (or short) to the entire system. Try unplugging it from the receptacle into which it is plugged and plugging it into an extension cord. Then run it a few times and see if it exhibits the same symptoms.

Sorry about model #. Here is the correct number - 139.53920D. Tried extension cord suggestion and it did the same thing. stopped about 4 or 5 times before it finally closed.
How long does the light stay out? Does the diagnostic LED on the back of the opener flash at all?
The LED light flashes at least once most of the time and sometimes twice, but it does not flash everytime the door stops. The garage door light flashes each time the door stops.

Please check to see if the LEDs on the Safety sensor(s) also go out or blink when the door stops.

Then please try closing the door by holding the push button on the wall continuously depressed and see if the door stops while you are doing that.

I have a green LED light on each of my Safety sensor(s) and they did not blink when the door stopped.

Using the wall button the door stopped while I continously depressed the wall button. It did this three times before it finally closed.

It sounds to me as though you have an intermittent open (This is where somthing that is supposed to be connected is not) On the other side of the coin, a "short" is when something that is not supposed to be connected or touching is. Without me being there with a VOM meter to test the power side of each component, it is impossible for me to tell you exactly where the issue lies.

There are several components that could be failing however the fact that light blinks leads me to believe that it is probably the logic board.

Some components that fail that could cause the door to stop due to an intermittent open in the circuit are as follows:

The safety Circuit: However the LEDs are staying on...

The Logic Board: Logic board PART NUMBER: 41A5021-3H-315

The Limit Switch: Limit switch PART NUMBER: 41D3452

The RPM Sensor: You said you replaced this already.

Many certified technicians stock these parts on their trucks so that they can just start swapping parts until they locate the problem. We unfortunately, do not have that luxury.

Some techs actually know how to use a VOM meter however, many do not.

You can try replacing the limit switch first as it is only $25 compared to the logic board at $126 however, if it is not the limit switch, then I have suggested the wrong option. You might consider calling a service tech as this issue really demands a hands on diagnosis...

Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright