Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

How to build an awning frame made of and what type of lumber

Customer Question
how to build an awning...
how to build an awning frame made of wood and what type of lumber should i use
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
4/18/2012
Home Improvement Expert: Eric M. Bright, We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't! replied 5 years ago
Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright, We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!
Eric M. Bright :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I am glad you are here! My name is Eric & I will endeavor to answer your question.

Customer:

hi Eric

Customer:

whats next

Customer:

Go ahead Eric im open for suggestions

Customer:

Is anyone there

Eric M. Bright :

HI

Eric M. Bright :

I thought I was chatting in a different window

Customer:

ok please proceed

Eric M. Bright :

What type of awning did you have in mind?

Eric M. Bright :

Eric M. Bright :

What type of awning would you like to build? Please describe your idea in greater detail.

Customer:

the type of awning doesn't matter what im interested in is building the wooden fram

Eric M. Bright :

OK, but there are small awnings that attach to the house and go over a window and large awnings that cover an entire back porch and everything in between. I need to know the scope of what you he in mind before I can advise you on how to build it.

Customer:

do u have any sketches on different frame structures for over a back porch

Customer:

the frame would be approximately 9feet long

Eric M. Bright :

OK, will it attach to the house on one side or be totally free standing?

Eric M. Bright :

Here is an example of a simple wood awning

Full Size Image

Customer:

it will attach to house on both sides

Eric M. Bright :

here is an example of what woyld be considered a Pergola not really an awning

Full Size Image

Customer:

that image i had thought about but i am using corrigated fiberglass for top and sides this frame wouldn't work

Customer:

and i need something that would be supported soley from house, no other supports

Eric M. Bright :

OK so let me see if I have this correct. You want to make an awning roof of sorts that will attach to two parts of the house which are accross from each other, so that you will have like a covered breeze-way. Is that close

Customer:

yes

Eric M. Bright :

Are you stil there?

Eric M. Bright :

I am going to switch from chat to the Q & A format so when you come back and post a reply I will get an email.

did u receive my last reply and do u have a response

Yes, You would use dry Pressure Treated Southern Yellow Pine lumber to span the 9' and then place the fiberglass panels on top of that. If you want to entire thing to be water tight however, there are many variables having to do with your specific existing construction that need to be taken into consideration before I can advise you on exactly how to build it.

In most places this structure will require a building permit which would then require a sealed drawing from an architect or an engineer who can look at exactly what you currently have, and design exactly what you need to make what you want to do come to life.

where i live no permit is required and i just want a simple structure can u give me some ideas with photos remember keep it simple

OK, what wind zone are you in? If you do not know, please tell me your zip code and I will find out for you.

Also, can you please send me some photos of the roof edges, soffits and fascias you are attaching to? If you DO NOT use an Apple product, you can upload photos using the paper clip icon in the tool bar above the question window. If you do not have the paper clip icon the tool bar or a tool bar at all, create a free www.MediaFire.com account and upload them there and then post the associated links back here.

You asked me to keep it simple. Depending on the status of your attachment points however, this may or may not be a simple thing so I can only keep it simple if your existing conditions are idea.

I am not willing to offer you some description of a jury rigged roof structure. If I can't tell you how to do it and maintain structural stability, then I am going to have to back out of the question.

Relist: Answer quality.
i just want top know how to frame out a simple frame for an awning on my back porch the exhisting one was damaged by storm

There is no one who can explain this to you until they know what it is going to be attached to and how it will be attached. You have not provided enough information to us in order for us to offer an answer YET...

Home Improvement Expert: Stephen Cutler, General Contractor replied 5 years ago
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Hi and thanks for choosing JustAnswer.com.
I've been following your question & now you've got me curious.
"exhisting one was damaged" means you already have one to copy, and it also means you are in a high wind zone.
If you do not care about winds zones, like Eric cautioned, I assume you don't mind having another storm wreck the next frame- as long as it is simple to build. Now to the curious part: Why not just copy the old frame?
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor