Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

My garage door will open only a few inches and then stops.

Customer Question
Clicking the remote at that...
My garage door will open only a few inches and then stops. Clicking the remote at that point just closes it. I have no other way to get into the garage.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
2/13/2012
Home Improvement Expert: Homehelpnow, General Contractor replied 5 years ago
Homehelpnow
Homehelpnow, General Contractor

Homehelpnow :

Hi this is Herb to help with your situation

Homehelpnow :

Hi are you there?

Homehelpnow :

Hi this herb to help you trouble shoot the garage door issue

JACUSTOMER-1alhxyae- :

Please see my question -- when I press the remote, my garage door opens only a few inches and then stops. When I click the remote again, the door closes. There is no other way to open the garage door or enter the garage.

Homehelpnow :

I did you try holding the remote's button until the door raises enough to allow you to get in?

JACUSTOMER-1alhxyae- :

Yes, regardless of how long I hold the remote button, the door just stops at a certain point a few inches from the ground.

Homehelpnow :

The function on some remote buttons will act as an override if you hold them down. Is it cold outside where you are located?

Homehelpnow :

Do you have the name and model number of the opener?

JACUSTOMER-1alhxyae- :

n

Homehelpnow :

Does this mean that 1) it is not cold outside and 2) you don't know the name or model number

JACUSTOMER-1alhxyae- :

It's a Craftsman 1/2 HP, the owner's manual lists several model numbers beginning with 139.53960SRT. Yes, it's cold here but not the coldest day we have had this winter.

Homehelpnow :

Craftsman openers can be gently persuaded to open by lifting up on them while you press the button on the remote. You should put a board under the door to act as a lever and gently lift up to open the door, it should lift without using a heavy amount of force...don't lift so strong that the door is bent or damaged. This option is used only to allow you to get in so that we cn figure out what's going on inside

JACUSTOMER-1alhxyae- :

I will go try that and will report back.

Homehelpnow :

ok

JACUSTOMER-1alhxyae- :

I'm afraid it didn't work. I could not get the door to move beyond one spot while clicking the remote. It just stops there. I used a board as you suggested. I also made sure to remove any snow around the door in case that was an issue. What now?

Homehelpnow :

I'm concerned that the door didn't move at all, usually the door will move a foot or two. I hope that one or two of the springs have not become detached. Let me get back to you in a few minutes

Homehelpnow :

What is the model number on your remote or can you describe what the remote looks like?

Homehelpnow :

Ok are you there?

More than likely the gear in the motor or a door spring has broken. You can get into the garage by helping the garage door up forcefully. The trick is to push the remote button to open the door and then immediately start helping the door to raise before the motor stops running. In this way you will be helping the door raise with the motor as oppose to forcing the door up against the motor gear mechanism. Helping the door up while the motor is trying to lift is critical to not damaging anything! Once you have helped the door up you can assess the problem as being in the motor or with the actual door parts.

If this helps you to get into the garage please let me know and we can accurately assess what is happening inside.

sincerely,

Herb

Hi

This is Herb again,

I was following up on your garage door problem. Where you able to get in? Did the door happen to have a key lock that disengages the the electric motor? Am I hoping that my answers helped you to resolve the issue. Please let me know

sincerely,

Herb

Homehelpnow
Homehelpnow
Homehelpnow, General Contractor