Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have an Apollo 1550 Swing Gate opener. The only wired accessory

connected is an entry pushbutton...
I have an Apollo 1550 Swing Gate opener. The only wired accessory connected is an entry pushbutton. The opener for the most part operates fine but suddenly has begun randomly opening on it's own. Sometimes it opens all the way and then won't close or we find it stuck open halfway. This happens approximately once per day that we find the gate open. Then once we close it, it operates fine again. Do you have any suggestions?
1/20/2012
Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright, We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I am glad you are here! My name is Eric & I will endeavor to answer your question.

Disconnect the wire to the pushbutton from the circuit board. Let it sit a while to see if it opens on its own without the wiring connected. If it does, you need to replace your circuit board. If not, reconnect the wire to the circuit board and disconnect it from the push button. Now see if the gate opens by itself. If not, rewire to the push button and see if the problem continues. If Yes, replace your push button. If the gate opens by itself with the push button disconnected, replace the wire form the opener to the push button in its entirety. If your wiring is buried or in walls, conduit or otherwise difficult to replace, you may do the test by running new wire right across the drive, swail or yard from the control panel to the push button. Disconnect the old wire and connect the new wire at the circuit board and push button (even though not yet run on the correct path). If the gate works fine and does not open on its own after that, you will have to do a permanent wire replacement.

In the event that you do not possess a copy of your Owners Manual, or just in case you might like to have a copy stored on your hard drive, I have provided the link where you may download a copy of it.

http://www.apollogate.com/manuals/1550-1650Manual111209.pdf

And here is the link to where you may down load the troubleshooting guide.

http://www.apollogate.com/Troubleshooting/1550_1650troubleshooting.pdf

Please let me know how you fare!

Eric,
Thanks for your prompt response. I have a wired push button for entry and also the wired push button on the side of the controller box. Should I try isolating both wired buttons or which one should I try disconnecting first?
Thanks,
Glenn
Hi Glenn, Disconnect and mark all accessories. If the problem clears, then rewire one at a time in order to diagnose which is the problem.
Eric:
Please clarify so that I understand correctly. If I disconnect the pushbutton where it plugs into the board and it solves my problem, does that not diagnose a bad pushbutton without going any further? Or do I indeed need to troubleshoot by disconnecting both ends of the wire? I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

If you disconnect the wire to the push button from the control board and the problem goes away, it could mean that either the push button is bad or the wire between the push button and the control board is bad.

Disconnect the wire from the button and reconnect the wire to the control panel. If the problem returns without the button being attached, it is probably the wire. If the problem does not return with the wire (but not the button) hooked up, then re-attach the button to the wire. if the problem then returns, then the problem was the button.

Understood. Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated
You are welcome!
Eric M. Bright
featured content

Apollo gate opener troubleshooting

Although repairing a gate opener can often be a job for a pro, here there are some DIY Apollo gate opener troubleshooting tips for owners if your gate isn’t operating optimally.

First, disconnect everything, isolating the circuit board, actuator and battery.

Now follow these steps:

• Test the battery by checking the voltage with a volt-meter while the gate is operating. For AC charged systems, unplug the battery charger before testing the battery. Battery voltage should be 11.5 volt DC or higher.

• Check to make sure your dip switches are set correctly. Putting them back to their factory defaults is the best option, but make a note of the settings you’ve been using first. In almost all cases for the 1550 models, numbers 1,3,7 and 8 should be on, with everything else off. For the 7200, defaults are 1, 2, 3 and 5 on for single gates, and 1, 2 and 5 on for dual gates.

• For testing purposes, make adjustments to the auto reverse sensitivity and the run timer by turning them fully clockwise. Turn the close timer fully clockwise. Sensitivity should be set to a level that is strong enough to open and close the gate in all conditions, yet still sensitive enough to be safe. A good starting point is the one o’clock position.

• Test the actuators. If you have a dual gate system, plug in only one at a time and test each one on both sides of the board. Most of the time you’ll find the problem in the “slave” side of the operator, usually caused by bad wiring across the driveway or by a bad splice.

• Try to activate the system by shorting terminal INP to GND. Allow the gate to activate and run a complete cycle several times, making sure it opens and closes properly. If there are any issues, adjust the limit switches of the actuator/s.

• If the gate won’t activate or limit adjustments aren’t working, check the retract (open) limit to make sure there’s a short between the orange and green wires, and the extend (close) limit for a short between the white and green wires. If there’s no short, adjust the limits and check the wires for damage.

If these steps haven’t fixed your problem, it’s time for more drastic measures. If you feel comfortable doing some hot wiring, go here for instructions on testing the motor.

For professionals, Nice Apollo also offers advice for specific problems, which you can find here.

Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright