Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Yesterday, during the heavy wind, after a couple of big

Customer Question
noise, our Heatilator fireplace went...
yesterday, during the heavy wind, after a couple of big noise, our Heatilator fireplace went off. We have a model GBFL4136I. There is no button that I can push to ignite the pilot. All I have a wall switch that I can turn on or off.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
12/26/2011
Home Improvement Expert: Eric M. Bright, We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't! replied 6 years ago
Eric M. Bright
Eric M. Bright, We Don't Comprehend the Word Can't!

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer.com, I am glad you are here! My name is Eric & I will endeavor to answer your question.

This could possibly cross categorize over into electrical and maybe not however, if it goes beyond my suggesting you check the circuit breaker I will let the electrical guys offer an answer if they so desire.

Did the power go out? Have you checked the circuit breaker?

Try that and let me know what you find.

no, power did not go out. I checked the circuit breaker and it is intact. Nothing went wrong with the circit breaker.

Is there anythig else in your home that is operated with gas and are those units functioning OK?

You wrotethat yours was a model # GBFL4136I Could it instead be a GDFL4136I

Is your pilot light lit?

Do you own a copy of your owners/ installation manual?

I double checked the model number and it is GBFL4136I. And I have the manual in front of me. Yes, we have a gas cook & oven. And a gas furnace. They are working just fine. And I believe our water heater is gas operated adn it is owrking fine as well.
the pilot light is off

OK,

You are going to have to reignite the pilot. That is why the wall switch is not turning on the heater.

The instructions are on PG 12 of your manual under Lighting instructions.

In the event that you might find a copy of your owners manual to store on your computers hard drive helpful, here is where you may down load a copy in .pdf format.

http://www.heatilator.com/~/media/Files/Heatilator/Installation%20Manuals/2129_900.ashx

Eric- in my manual, Lighting instruction is on page 10. I followed these instruction last night and the pilot light did not go on. I did it again now and same results...nothing.

My mistake, I was looking at the .pdf document numbering and not the actual page number in the manual.

Refer to section 15 (Troubleshooting) on page 64 of your manual. Here are causes for various issues. Page 66 is where Pilot lights that do not light are explained. At this point it is recommended that you call in a qualified service tech as you are dealing with gas and that is dangerous. Read through section 15 and see if you can narrow it down to the solution to your exact problem based on clicking or not clicking sound, momentary light and out verses no light at all etc. (you will understand what that means after reading through section 15) It sounds like you may need to replace your module. But the manufacturer tells us that repair beyond this point requires a qualified service tech.

Refer to section 15 (Troubleshooting) on page 64 of your manual. Here are causes for various issues. Page 66 is where Pilot lights that do not light are explained. At this point it is that you call in a qualified service tech as you are dealing with gas and that is dangerous. Read through section 15 and see if you can narrow it down to the solution to your exact problem based on clicking or not clicking sound, momentary light and out verses no light at all etc. (you will understand what that means after reading through section 15) It sounds like you may need to replace your module. But the manufacturer tells us that repair beyond this point requires a qualified service tech.

Eric M. Bright
Eric- I know you did the best. However, my issue remains unsolved. And I did not learn anything new. At this point I will call a local tech to fix the issue. I absolutely do not want to leave a negative feedback as I know you did your best to help me. I consider this matter close and I will accept your answer and hopefully you get paid for the time you spent this morning. Thank you.

You are more than gracious!

I certainly THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

You have no idea how many of our customers get answers such as this "I am sorry but your issue is absolutly going to require an onsite service call" and then they either do not accept or leave neg feed-back because I could repair it from 1600 miles away!

My you be richly blessed and kept warm this holiday season!