Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Dear Mr. Holmes, My nine year old concrete garage floor

Customer Question
Dear Mr. Holmes, My nine year...
Dear Mr. Holmes,

My nine year old concrete garage floor does not drain properly to the exterior asphalt driveway. Rain often seeps in under the overhead door and during winter the snow melt off the car ponds near the rear of the car and at the garage door resulting in a very dirty and wet mess on the floor. The surface of the concrete, especially near the overhead door, is flaking and generally deteriorating such that the floor is now rough in several spots.

One contractor, in 2008, resurfaced or patched the floor from the overhead door inwards about 4 to 6 feet in an effort to try to repair the surface and better slope the floor towards the exterior but that repair has now mostly crumbled and delaminated, it was not successful. The contractor blamed the failure of his repair work on the poor quality of the existing floor and would not therefore undertake any warranty repairs.

Short of removing and replacing the whole garage floor can you recommend any resurfacing products or techniques that might be cost effective in providing a hardened, bondable and sloped/drainable surface on top of the existing concrete floor? As a desperate last resort, please also provide your opinion on whether or not you would consider the drilling of a few ¾” to 1” drainage holes through the floor into the crushed stone base, as a possible option for a partial solution?

Ruth Fraley,
Brighton, Ontario
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
9/30/2011
Home Improvement Expert: Dr. Fix-It, Handyman replied 6 years ago
Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Handyman
Hi thanks for your question, I will evaluate it and respond with some logical and quite practical solutions for you in a timely manner. . .

This JA site is not associated with Mike Holmes (you may call his inspection team @ 1-888-563-5699) and JA is an independent site to provide answers to your questions -

However, Here is a Mike Holmes approved company in your area -

Graff Concrete Cutting Services
Chris Pardy XXXXX
Brampton L6W 3J9
Tel:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Email:[email protected]

They can help modify the existing concrete to allow water run-off away from the home by grinding down areas or creating rough section of the existing driveway to reslope the elevation to prevent water to settle.
Thanks but the contractor you have recommended is a long way from Brighton, Ontario. Do you have knowledge of any well qualified contractors any closer? You also said you would provide some "logical and quite practical solutions". Please let me know when I may expect to hear from you in that regard.
Aye they are just two hours away... Another listed Mike Holmes approved contractor is -
Complex Paving LTD
|(NNN) NNN-NNNN| TollFree: 1-866-212-2821
Cell:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Email:[email protected]
*
Appears most of the companies he works with are in Toronto areas.
*
Here are some companies that do concrete work though have not with Mike Holmes... There is these folks which are about 40 minutes out
-
Ray Brothers Construction Ltd
Gd Stn Main Belleville, ON K8N 4Z8, Canada(NNN) NNN-NNNN
&
closer in your area is
-
Fledderus Concrete
384 Smith St RR 3 Brighton, ON K0K 1H0
Canada(NNN) NNN-NNNN‎
^
Ok now as fix, will have to cut out drain channel along the driveway to be able to route any water down drain pipe and away from the home, May resurface the existing concrete by higher pressure cleaning the area of dirt and loose concrete. Then may apply a concrete resurfacer mix for a smooth like new looking surface.
^
Here is a clip that shows the steps of the surface repair
-
http://youtu.be/lkl3bY7Z88k
Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Handyman
Please see the picture clip of the drain channel recommended and the video clip link directly below that of the QUIKRETE® Concrete Resurfacer (No. 1131) application. If need further clarification can simply ask, no need to be negative when information requested was provided. Thanks and all the best.
Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It, Handyman