Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a Genie Pro 88, 1/3 hp, screw drive opener. From the

Customer Question
I have a Genie Pro...
I have a Genie Pro 88, 1/3 hp, screw drive opener. From the closed position it will only go up a short way. Sometimes, when the weather is warm, it will work but usually not. When its open sometimes it will only close a short way. The door work smoothly manually. The unit is about 10 years old.

Are there adjustments that I can make or is it just worn out? If it needs to be replaced can I just replace to power head (using the same brackets and supports already there) or does everything have to be replaced?

Thanks,
Mike Karp
Southern California
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 3 days by:
4/27/2011
Home Improvement Expert: Stephen Cutler, General Contractor replied 6 years ago
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.
Yes you can use the same brackets & supports. What you describe is a force issue, and it IS adjustable. Here's how it works:

Auto reverse, and failure to respond to close command, are emergency safety functions. This only happens when the opener thinks someone or something it trapped under the door, or standing in the path of the door while you are trying to close it. There are 3 possible causes.

The 1st & most common way the safety system is fooled into thinking it should not close is misalignment of the safety sensors. They are easily bumped and knocked out of alignment. The safety sensors are located at the bottom of, and mounted to, each side of the track. They must be pointed AT each other with nothing blocking either of the sensors. When properly aligned, you should have a small light illuminated on each sensor. If they are in good alignment, but not lit, check the delicate wires for continuity and firm terminal connections.

When this problem occurs the remotes will not work, the door will open, but door will stop & reverse immediately after activating the wall button down command, or if you are holding the wall button down, which bypasses the safety system, immediately upon release of the button. However, IF the door travels partially or all the way closed and then reverses, look to the 2nd & 3rd possible causes.

The 2nd cause is the closing force, which is also part of the safety system. It could be set too light and the normal tension of the closed position exceeds what the door believes to be allowable tension. . There should be a dial on the side of your opener that has a downward pointing arrow beside it. Turn this dial slightly, in the direction indicated on the opener, to increase the closing force of the door. If opening is the problem look for the up force dial. Binding of the spring coils on the shaft is a common cause of increased tension. If the shaft is dry, oiling or greasing the shaft will restore normal tension. DO NOT use WD-40! For more on springs see:

http://ddmgaragedoors.com/diy-instructions/replace-garage-door-torsion-springs.php#wind

The 3rd cause is a malfunctioning travel limit switch. This fails to tell the door it is time to stop, and the opener tries to drive the door into the ground- again exceeding what the door believes to be allowable tension. The travel limit switch-mounting setscrew can vibrate loose allowing it to move or fall off. It's trip finger can break, or the switch can simply fail. The travel limit switch is mounted to the rail about where the trolley is located in the closed-door position.
First take a quick look to see if the travel limit switch is dangling by it's wire. Next confirm the sensors are lit & pointing at each other. If the sensors are aligned, get a stepladder and do a close inspection of the travel limit switch. If it has slipped & moved you will see a mark on the rail where the setscrew was engaged. Reset the switch and tighten the setscrew.

If you give me the model number of your opener I can pull up the owner's manual and tell you where the force adjustment knobs are.
I hope that this information was helpful to you. If it was please remember to click "ACCEPT" on your screen to make sure that I am paid for my efforts. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your ability to ask more questions pertaining to this subject, and I will be happy to respond to these as well. Please take a moment and leave feedback, it is very important!
If I exceeded your expectations, a bonus is greatly appreciated- it's easy to do when you accept an answer. Or you can come back and add a bonus at a later date by using the "bonus" button at the top your question page.

Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor

It turns out the screw drive needed to be cleaned and re-lubricated. Simple as that. A little WD-40 to clean the old lubricant out and some Blaster GDL and the garage door opener is working as good as new.

Thanks anyway.

Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor