Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

how much its an average residential wood framing price per

square feet in nassau county...
how much its an average residential wood framing price per square feet in nassau county new york?
11/19/2010
David L.
David L., Handyman
Hello! I believe that people can fix nearly ANYTHING themselves with a little guidance! I'll help you, and you will pay only if you are satisfied.

I called several companies in the area and found the price to range from $6-$15 per sq foot depending upon the complexity of the job for new construction, with the average being about $8 for a "normal" job of rough framing, sheathing, soffit, and window installation.

The person who gave me the most personable and professional answer was from here:

http://www.absolutecarpentryinc.com/contact.html

He has owned the company for many years, and will quote your job if you call him.

Thanks,

Please press "accept" so the site will pay me, and please leave feedback for me, it really helps me on the site. Bonuses of ANY amount are also greatly appreciated, but optional. More questions? Please continue to ask me about this issue either before or after you press "accept" and I'll stay with you!--Thanks!--David
Thank you for the answer, thats just for labor but I am more interested in getting pricing with material include in it? I coulndnt. Get back to you cause I was away for the weekend. Thanks I look forward for you yo get back to me
I checked with 84 lumber, which is a mostly contractor supply house, but can also supply homeowners. Understand that there are great variances between plans based on the specifications in the plan. They do material quotes by the plan, and strive for accuracy, so quoting a price per square foot makes them nervous. When I managed a lumberyard (last about 3 years ago) , I had a similar hesitancy, because costs could be significantly higher from one plan to the next depending upon floor plan and complexity. One example is arched openings in doorways, which added about 20.00 each just for material cost, or tile floors, which usually required stiffer sheathing and/or additional floor joists, or 2 story homes, which required 2 floor systems but only 1 roof, versus 1 story homes which required more framing per sq. foot because there was still a whole roof over just 1 floor. Basements would drive the price per sq foot down.

That said, they guessed at approximately $11-$13 per sq foot based on the last three plans that they quoted out for a contractor. This was for material only, and they told me at least 10 times that they would need to have a plan and work the plan to be accurate.

So, to add the labor plus material together, your range should be approximately $19.00-$28.00 per sq foot all depending upon how complex the plan is, and that is with lumber prices at their current level. Lumber is a commodity, so the priced fluctuate wildly over time, and right now they are on the low side. (example, here, where I live, a sheet of OSB, similar to plywood, costs about 7.50, but has been as high as 16.00 in the past, and as low as about 6.50, all within the last 8 years.

I would recommend that you take the plans to 84 Lumber, and also to your favorite other lumberyard, and have both do a material takeoff estimate for you for the framing package, and then for whichever seems to have the lower prices per piece, have that one quote the quantities from the yard that had the higher prices per piece so that you get an apples-to-apples quote on same quantities. In my experience the way to get a fairly accurate quantity is to use an experienced outside salesman from a contractor yard to do the takeoff, rather than using an hourly paid employee of a home center.

Most lumberyards charge nothing to do a material quote, so all you need to invest is your time to get a close idea.

Hope this gets you started!--David

More help needed? Let me know!

thank you david for the information, i was wondering on what state or for what state was that quote? i have recieve higher numbers here in long island ny, i know all depends on the conplexcivility of the job, i was looking to get a standard price for square feet trying to figure out it my price was higher

That was for Nassau County, New York. For labor, the framer that I linked you to does business there and has been in business for many years, and coincidentally one of his employees is a former colleague of mine. For material, the lumberyard was an 84 lumber on Long Island, New York, and I trust that it was a competitive price because I was part of that company in a relatively high capacity, and know how they operate on slim margins, and I connected with the salesman who gave me the straight story. (Good old boy network!) The reason for the huge spread in price is because of the possible complexity of the job and the impact that can have. He is willing to do an actual estimate from your prints to give you a real quote. (Materials and Labor!) It may be that your home is extraordinary in some way. For example, he said that if yours was on the water, then there would be significant cost involved for strapping required because of high winds. The best way to get a real answer is to actually have someone quote it! Of course, it is possible that your contractor is quoting more of the job, or also including finish work of some type, or higher grades of material than necessary, or perhaps he is overcharging.

Pete is the guy that I spoke with, and he owns the company. I told him a little about your project (because I only know a little) and he encouraged you to call him directly.

Follow the link, call him, and at least get a quote. Then if there is a huge discrepancy between your current quote and the new one you can at least negotiate a little.

More help needed? Let me know!

David L.
David L., Handyman
David L.
David L.
David L., Handyman