Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

we have a new condo and our garage smoke detector keeps beeping…

Customer Question
we have a new condo...
we have a new condo and our garage smoke detector keeps beeping even with new batteries we have been here 10 months and this just started. Its a combo detector what could be wrong
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
6/29/2010
Home Improvement Expert: Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast replied 8 years ago
Rich
Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast

Hello .. is it beeping steady ,, or once a minute .. or more often or less often??

Thanks .. Rich

Rich, at teast every minute my husband now tells me the one in our basement also had to have the battery changed. these are new batteries also.

OK .. did you check the batteries to see if they are good ..?? .. the detector is beeping to tell you it is not happy .. the easiest remedy would be to make sure that the batteries test good ..

Thoughts ?

yes brand new

OK .. well the next thing to check is take the detector down and see if it has a sticker that gives you an replacement date .. ANY way ,.. the detector will chirp if it needs a new battery , AND also if it needs replacement .. Yes you said that was a new condo .. but When were the detectors installed ..???

Thoughts

condo was built 2yrs ago and the dectector date 2/19/2009

Well .. do not know what to tell you .. I would replace a detector and see if that fixed the problem ..