Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I am thinking of adding adding some pavers and possibly a small…

Customer Question
I am thinking of adding...
I am thinking of adding adding some pavers and possibly a small brick retaining wall in my backyard. What are some things I should know before hiring someone for the job? I have no idea what the terms of the trade are, thus any and all information that you could provide would be helpful!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 day by:
6/29/2010
Home Improvement Expert: Stephen Cutler, General Contractor replied 8 years ago
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer.com
The brick retaining wall will need weep holes to relieve hydrostatic pressure from water trapped behind it.
The pavers need a stable base. Depending on your soil conditions, this base could be anywhere from 4" to 12" of compacted sand or stone dust. Obviously you need to excavate an equal amount of your current soil to prevent raising the grade. Excavation should be no deeper than the target depth because undisturbed soil will be the foundation for the base. If they dig too deep, they will have to compact their excavation before adding the base.
I hope that this information was helpful to you. If it was please remember to click "ACCEPT" on your screen to make sure that I am paid for my efforts. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your ability to ask more questions pertaining to this subject, and I will be happy to respond to these as well. Please take a moment and leave feedback, it is very important!
If I exceeded your expectations, a bonus is greatly appreciated- it's easy to do
when you accept an answer. Or you can come back and add a bonus at a later date by using the "bonus" button at the top your question page.