Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I am having a problem with my garage door. from time to time…

Customer Question
I am having a problem...
I am having a problem with my garage door. from time to time it will not go down and I have to constantly stop when it tries to go back up and try to see if it will go back down. Sometimes it is so bad, that I have to use the pully rope to pull it off the track and let it roll down instead of the motor pushing it down.

I have tried oiling the track for the rollers with wd40 and spray on liquid grease.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
6/26/2010
Home Improvement Expert: Patrick, Construction Project Manager replied 8 years ago
Patrick
Patrick, Construction Project Manager
First, check all of the hardware bolts, screws and nuts and verify that they are tight. This includes the hardware that the rollers are slid into. Look at the runner tracks and verify that they are not wobbling or loose. Verify that they are secure. Next, check the infrared eye and verify that they are clean and not blocked. Verify that they are aligned, When checking hardware also check that the chain trolley or screw trolley has the limit switches secure and in the proper position. If the screw has come loose on the limit switch it can cause the door to reverse early. If the screw drive or chain track is gummed up you can clean it and apply the maufacturers recommended grease. As for lubricating the track on each side you may want to use a lubricating spray on the tracks, roller wheels and axles. There are lubricating sprays better than WD40 for this as WD40 is a better moisture displacer than long term lubricator. Good luck. If this has proved helpful please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.
That makes a lot of sense. One more question based off what a friend of mine told me. He told me something about the recoil spring and adjusting it. I just wanted to get your thoughts on that. What you said makes some good sense.
Adjusting the recoil spring is something best left to professional garage door service folks. The recoil spring can break an arm or worse if it gets away from you. In the event that the spring is out of balance please call in a professional for this. If the cable is off the drums on the side this could be an issue. Again, at this point if that is your problem call out to get this balanced. I would check all hardware first. Good luck.
Patrick
Patrick, Construction Project Manager
Thanks. Glad I asked. My friend almost got me in trouble. Thank you Patrick.
You bet. I had a personal experience with a garage door spring years ago and, although not hurt, I made the call to have the spring fixed. There is a lot of power stored up in the torqued spring.