Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Our kitty chose to whizz on our mid-century mondern birch laminate…

Customer Question
Our kitty chose to whizz...
Our kitty chose to whizz on our mid-century mondern birch laminate chair. Instead of taking off the canvas, I took the entire chair outside in the hot sun to clean. Now the laminate has split. How do I repair it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
6/21/2010
Home Improvement Expert: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, first we chat a bit, then I give you some partial answers, please do not click accept until you get a final and complete answer you like.

How bad is the laminate separated, in almost all cases you can use Elmers super strength wood glue and a few small C clamps and thick rubber pads to spread the pressure over curved surfaces to re-glue it.

Let that cure for a day with the clamps in place, then use 300 grit sand paper lightly to smooth the edges, then 600 grit paper to polish the edges, .. then with a single stroke drag one coat of tung oil over the damaged area, it will show micro streaks, those will dissapear to a mirror finish when it dries if dont use too much of the oil (tung oil dries to hard finish by the way) or if you like re-sand the the entire chair lightly first with 300 grit, then with 600 grit paper... and use the tung oil applied with a folded paper shop towel on all the wood surfaces, wipe it on with a single straight stroke... dont use a brush or attempt to put the tung oil on thick, with the method described it will turn out glass smooth, with no trouble...

Previous to that fix any bad damage with as little wood filler and furnature touch up pens as possible.. over repair looks worse than just ignoring the damage and using the tung oil.

Then you have to address your cats psychological problems...strap the cat to a chair and make it listen to Dr Laura .. that should work.

Edited by Handyman solutions on 6/21/2010 at 12:55 AM EST