Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Im leasing an office space in Ajax, Ontario, that only has…

Customer Question
I'm leasing an office space...
I'm leasing an office space in Ajax, Ontario, that only has a "shell" at this point. What would be a good ball park cost of making it into a decent clinic with two treatment rooms and a reception area? I would also like to add one sink (not a toilet) there. The size of the space is 600sft. I'm assuming I have to hire an architect and a contractor.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
6/18/2010
Home Improvement Expert: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 8 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, first we chat a bit, then I give you some partial answers, please do not click accept until you get a final and complete answer you like.

Does it have HVAC to it? does it have a suspended ceiling in place? What is the current flooring? Bare concrete? Is there a bathroom with toilet in place? Is it on the ground floor, or a higher floor in the building?

How many stories in the building?

Give me those details I can give you an estimate on costs etc.

Thank you very much for the reply. Basically, the place really is a "shell", ready to be finished. It's on the second (top) floor of the building in a plaza.

HVAC - There is a rough in.
Suspended ceiling - Not yet.
Flooring - Smooth concrete.
Bathroom - no bathroom (and I don't need one). But I would like a sink.

What do you think?

Is the AC unit for your office sitting on the roof. or is there just a roof penetration and curb on whick and AC unit can be placed?

Regarding the bathroom, most shells will have the plumbing already brought up through a wall, copper tubes sticking out and capped..and usually a floor flange for a toilet, with cap on it. Expecting the tennant to supply these primary builiding utilities is not usual, it involves the tennants with making changes to the building... so its not done.

My guess is that cold water and drains, and maybe the waste liine for the toilet is in place? check into that regardless if you need a toilet or not. that will tell me a lot about whats there.

There should also be at least am electrical power distribution panel on one of the walls in the space, with breakers in it.. ready for you to wire your lights and equipment into. Is that panel there? If the electric panel is not there, tell me where the main building power distribution panels are, how far and is the place open to run conduit to your place or is the rest already built out.... maybe a panel is not in place but the power has been stubbed into your space. and terminated in a switch box?