Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I was wondering if anyone new a few ricks for eliminating and…

Customer Question
I was wondering if anyone...
I was wondering if anyone new a few ricks for eliminating and preventing green algae in my outdoor fish ponds both are about 1000 gallons each?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
6/13/2010
Home Improvement Expert: Patrick, Construction Project Manager replied 8 years ago
Patrick
Patrick, Construction Project Manager
Are your filters and pumps correctly sized for your two 1000 gallon ponds? Is the green algae suspended in the water?

i have a 2500 gallon filter and pump on each so should be sufficient. algae on sides of pond and green stuff floating on surface.

The uv light may be defeating your bio filters by sterilizing the water. You should have no more than 1" of fish per square foot of water surface area. Too many fish puts too much organic junk in the water and too much feed adds to it. If you have moving water you need to understand that your plants do best with still water. As for algae on the sides, that is not bad. That helps oxygenate the water. The green algae in the pond on the surface you want to control. Are you over fertilyzing?