Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

what is the hight requirement for a stair rail up the stairs…

Customer Question
what is the hight requirement...
what is the hight requirement for a stair rail up the stairs and the banister at the top of the stairs in Jacksonville, Florida Code is SBCCI.

What is the spacing requirement for the pickets on that stair.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
6/11/2010
Home Improvement Expert: MJ, Architect replied 8 years ago
MJ
MJ, Architect
Hello and thank you for your question.

I will need a bit more information, as Florida's building code differs on this matter depending on whether the project is single-family residential, multi-family residential, or commercial/institutional.
Could you please clarify?

Thank you.
Thanks for the additional information.

Here are the relevant sections from Florida's current residential code:

R312.1 Guards. Porches, balconies, ramps or raised floor surfaces located more than 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor or grade below shall have guards not less than 36 inches (914 mm) in height. Open sides of stairs with a total rise of more than 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor or grade below shall have guards not less than 34 inches (864 mm) in height measured vertically from the nosing of the treads.

Porches and decks which are enclosed with insect screening shall be equipped with guards where the walking surface is located more than 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor or grade below.

R312.2 Guard opening limitations. Required guards on open sides of stairways, raised floor areas, balconies and porches shall have intermediate rails or ornamental closures which do not allow passage of a sphere 4 inches (102mm) or more in diameter.

EXCEPTIONS
1. The triangular openings formed by the riser, tread and bottom rail of a guard at the open side of a stairway are permitted to be of such a size that a sphere 6 inches (152 mm) cannot pass through.
2. Openings for required guards on the sides of stair treads shall not allow a sphere 43/8 inches (107 mm) to pass through.

I hope this information is helpful, and if so that you will please click the green "ACCEPT" icon as this is the only way that I can be paid for my answer through JustAnswer.
Thank you.

Edited by MJ on 6/11/2010 at 2:02 AM EST
Hi, I've answered your question about guardrails for stairs in this thread, above.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Please ask any follow up questions in this thread, and do not keep opening additional questions, as those will be closed as duplicates.

Thank you.

Edited by MJ on 6/11/2010 at 2:08 AM EST