Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

We had several restrooms at our business recently professionally…

Customer Question
We had several restrooms at...
We had several restrooms at our business recently professionally wallpapered all with the same product. The paper in one of the restrooms keeps coming off the wall at the edges. We've had to crew back several times to fix the issue and they are making progess. They have offered to tear it all off and paint the walls at no charge. However we really like the wallpaper better and would like to keep it. They indicated the wall was primered (by another firm) with a waterbase primer which they believe to be the issue.
My question is can you recommend an adhesive that would permanently bond the few loose edges that remain. I'd like to touch this up myself rather than call these folks back everytime a seam comes loose.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/10/2010
Home Improvement Expert: Patrick, Construction Project Manager replied 8 years ago
Patrick
Patrick, Construction Project Manager
If you are dealing with a primed drywall substrate, waterbased primers are normal for use under wallpaper. Typically if the edges are not adhering it is due to the adhesive not taking at the edges. A damp sponge applied to the loose edge will soften the grab to allow a blade to gently lift the wallpaper. Apply wallpaper glue under the edge and allow to dry briefly. Then using a wallpaper roller roll the edge. If glue comes out from the seam or edge wipe the excess off. Good luck. If this has proved helpful please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.
Patrick
Patrick, Construction Project Manager
Home Improvement Expert: Stephen Cutler, General Contractor replied 8 years ago
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
and if the surface rejects the waterbase wallpaper glue, clean it off and get a spray can of contact cement. Wear a cannister mask if you can not get excellent ventilation. Spray the wall and the back of the paper and allow to tack up according to directions. A fan speeds up tack time. Use a wide flat knife to "iron" the paper into place. Contact cement grabs itself on contact and WILL NOT let go. So you only get one shot at ironing out the paper, and if you mess up there is no fixing it or second chance.