Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

We have an apartment that desperately needs insulation. The

Customer Question

We have an apartment that desperately needs insulation. The part of the home that seems to have the greatest issues with drafts and heat retention is the original exterior wall and the sheet rock of the addition. What is the most eco-friendly tax credit funded option that I could talk my landlord into? Any other improvement ideas to pitch to him would also be appreciated.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
Hi

There are no tax credit programs that pay (entirely) for insulation or similar improvements. The tax credit can be taken for the cost of materials only. The only way to insulate an existing wall is to blow in insulation which will require an insulation company.

You should check with your local gas and electric utilities. Many utilities have weatherization programs at low or no cost.