Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Whirlpool model LLR8245BWO. Spin cycle does not work.

Whirlpool model LLR8245BWO. Spin...
4/7/2010
Rich
Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Hello Byron .. does the agitator work in the wash cycle?
To be honest. My wife put me on this. She does the wash. How do I check if the agitator is working?
You will be able to sense the agitation when the machine is in a wash cycle ..
Ok. You're not going to like this answer. I just went down there and tried it on all the different wash cycles at all different times, 12, 9, 6, etc. I got it to agitate once, but only once. Every other time it added water, but no movement. And the rinse cycle lets the water out.

OK .. the first thing I would check is the drive belt that is on the motor .. can you hear the motor running ?? .. to check this you will usually need to take the back panel off the machine..

Thoughts?

Don't want to take too much more of your time. I will take the back off the machine. What do you think of this as a strategy? If I can identify that the drive belt is faulty, I'll attempt to replace it myself. If the motor itself is shot, I replace the whole machine.

Thoughts? I just saw an ad for a Bosch in the paper this morning. I wonder if that was an omen.

Sounds good .. you should be able to see clearly if the belt is broken or messed up .. there should be a diagram on the inside or inside the cover as to how the belt is supposed to be placed on the pulleys.

My time is yours until you are satisfied with my answer or give up .. so go ahead and keep chatting until you have reached one of those points .. Rich

Rich
Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Ok. If that's the case, I'm going down there with a screwdriver. Might take a few minutes.
OK .. let me know how you make out
I unplugged the thing and took out about 7 or 8 sheet metal screws and was about to use a plumber's wrench to get the hoses off the back when I realized that there are some metal tabs holding it on which I'd either have to bend or break to get the back off. I'm kind of feeling I should leave it alone.

You don't have enough info to advise me whether to call a repair person or to buy a new machine, do you?

The thing is 15 years old. Thoughts?

I am hitting Accept, but would love your last thoughts if you have any.
Any advice?
Well .. when you start the machine, can you hear the motor running , or feel it .. if the motor is running then the most likely problem is the belt .. if the motor is not running , then the motor is probably the problem .. Good luck .. Thanks for the accept ..
Rich
Rich
Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast