Dennis M. Smith
Dennis M. Smith, Construction Consultant
Experience:  Over 40 yrs. as General Contractor for new const. & remodel - retired with time for you.
1967213

I have a wood coffee table with a cherry finish and my daughter

Customer Question

I have a wood coffee table with a cherry finish and my daughter was doing her nails on it and something leaked through the towel and then the towel stuck to the table. She was soaking her nails in polish remover and didn't really spill any but somehow something made the towel stick and we at least got the residue from the towel off with some goo-gone but now there is still something wrong with the finish. Help!
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Dennis M. Smith replied 7 years ago.

Please tell me a little more. What is it that isn't right with the finish at this point. Like, no lustre, off color, darker, lighter, etc. Also please describe the size of the problem area as well as the total size of the table top. Also is the "cherry" just a stain finish or is the wood itself cherry? And lastly what finish does the rest of the top have. ? ( Satin, semi gloss, or high gloss.

Dennis (cut2it)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there are like fingerprints that won't come off and a little residue of some sort.?? the area is about 8x10 and the total tabletop is about 2feet by 4. Not sure if it is cherry wood but that is about the color, with a satin to semi gloss finish.

To determine how serious this problem is you will need to first get it completely clean of original product used by your daughter and all of the aplications you have applied. To do this you will need to use "Goof Off." Readily available at home improvement stores and paint stores. Once you have cleaned it please get back to me with answers to all of the questions previously mentioned. My objective is to make a determination as to whether or not this is a "DIY" project or will need professional care. And it would be helpful if you could give me your best estimate of the value.

Dennis (cut2it)