plumber171
plumber171, Plumber
Experience:  plumbing and construction
14516829

Were are solar water panels in the Code. G12

Customer Question

Were are solar water panels in the Code. G12?

Do solar panels require frost protection in the Bay of Plenty?

Specifically in Taurangs.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  plumber171 replied 7 years ago.
solar panels are not covered in the buildings code nor the fire code . something that is currrently being addresed up on capital hill. the part that is covered in the code is where the cell oil is stored if there are PCBs being used and so forth . but the placement providing it is on your property is up to you. now if your town has a building ordnence due to sight you may have a fight but unless it falls under a historic ruling of zoning.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hang on a minute. The Tauranga City Council reqiures a Building Consent for the manufacture and installation of a solar hot water collection panel. If it is not required in the Building Codes how come the consent is needed?

The manufacturers state that a frost protection device is required and I am disputing this. That is why I am hunting for any Code that regulates solar hot water installation.

Can you clarify?