Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

electric heater, no hot water, the elements tested as OK what…

Customer Question
electric heater, no hot water...
electric heater, no hot water, the elements tested as OK what are other problems ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/5/2010
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 8 years ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Hi

Your elements should read 10 to 20 ohms across the terminals with no wires connected and should read "OL" (open line no continuity) from either terminal to ground. If you get anything other than these readings you probably have a bad element. You could also have a bad thermostat or a tripped hi limit on the upper thermostat. The limit is usually a red button. If you push it in and it clicks you have reset it. If it tripped it's an indication that the thermostats should be replaced. Of course you should have 220v -240v supply voltage. If you don't then you may have a bad breaker if the breaker isn't tripped.
Rick
Rick, General Contractor