Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Experience:  35 years of troubleshooting construction, remodel, component & material failures. What to do next
12492335

For a Structural Engineer Which wide flange I-beam do I choose This

Customer Question

For a Structural Engineer:
Which wide flange I-beam do I choose?

This beam will replace a weight bearing wall in a house on a first story concrete floor of about 1000 sq feet with second story above that is about 2000 square feet. Two pipes at each end will hold up the beam. The pipes will sit on 2 concrete pads of 28” x 28” x 16” deep 5,000 psi concrete. The two pipes are each 3.5” diameter, schedule 80 pipe, seamless with top and bottom plates that are 14” x ½” x 6”. Plates will be bolted and welded.

#1 beam: 23.8” long 12” x 12” x 65 lbs per linear sq foot

#2 beam: 23.8” long 12” x 10” x 58 lbs per linear sq foot

(notes: I have a building permit and architectural plans, but plans do not specify beam weight. Both beams are in stock and a crane will take the beam inside the house. The 65 lb beam is heavier, will cost more and more difficult to hoist into the floor joist which are 16” on center. But will the lighter weight one bow in the middle or a weaker stress point?)
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Stephen Cutler replied 7 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

You must use the beam specified in the plan that was used to obtain the permit. OR you could get the architect to redraw the page with the beam detail and have it restamped by his engineer. How much the beam weighs is not relevant. What the beam will support is relevant and the engineer has already calculated this for the plan you submitted to get your building permit. If you want to change to a lighter beam for ease of install, you will need to get the engineer to sign off on it, and submit it as a change to your permitted plans.

JA experts can not sign off on plans or permits because we are restricted to this interface. Contact outside of JA is prohibited by the site. No matter as you will have to use the engineer who drew your plans anyway.

I hope that this information was helpful to you. If it was please remember to click "ACCEPT" on your screen to make sure that I am paid for my efforts. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your ability to ask more questions pertaining to this subject, and I will be happy to respond to these as well. Please take a moment and leave feedback, it is very important!
If I exceeded your expectations, a bonus is greatly appreciated- it's easy to do
when you accept an answer. Or you can come back and add a bonus at a later date by using the "bonus" button at the top your question page.

My experience has been that most likely there will be no charge from the architect or engineer to make such a small change.

Did you close the question to "shoot the messenger"?