Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

purchased an older house with woodchip insulation in the attic.

Customer Question
we are going to be...
purchased an older house with woodchip insulation in the attic. we are going to be putting more insulation in. but are wondering what the best choice is: to take all the woodchips out lay down a vapour barrior, and then insulate, or just to spray foam insulation in the attic
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/2/2010
Home Improvement Expert: The Home Smithy, Home Builder replied 8 years ago
The Home Smithy, Home Builder

Hi. Welcome to JA.

If you intend to use spray in "foam" insulation you will need to remove the existing insulation.

If you are useing spray in cellulouse insulation then you can leave it as it is.

Best, THS

What is the difference between spray in foam and cellulouse? Can I get cellulouse anywhere? If we use the foam do we need to put down a vapor barrier? I know nothing about the cellulouse insulation.

Cellulouse insulation is basicly ground up used paper with some additives in it (fire proofing mostly). It is pumped in by a blower on the back of a truck. Something like a big backwards vacuume.

The foam is urethane that is sprayed in by an insulation contractor. This is not something that a DIYer can do.

As for the moisture barrier one is not needed with either type of insulation. If you intend to insulate the top (underside of roof sheathing) of the attic space then a barrier is recommended against the roof sheathing.

Edited by The Home Smithy on 4/2/2010 at 3:32 AM EST
The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Thank you. That helped us alot.

You are welcome.

Thank you for the accept.

Best, THS