Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have a Hydromaid Disposal that is jammed. Ive cleaned out…

Customer Question
I have a Hydromaid Disposal...
I have a Hydromaid Disposal that is jammed. I've cleaned out all visible garbage but can't seem to get those blades to turn? When it sits for awhile and turn the knob it sounds so much like it wants to start up but then gives up. Any advice? This is our second Hydromaid, and I have loved it up to this very frustrating point. I just don't want to tear it out and take it back down to Draper again. please help me.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/7/2010
Home Improvement Expert: Brian, Architect replied 8 years ago
Brian
Brian, Architect

HelloCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

You'll know your disposal is jammed or clogged when the motor hums but the disposal doesn't run, or the disposal is overly noisy, or it runs and then stops before you turn it off. The problem is most often a piece of bone, fruit pit, or something similar, stuck between the impeller blade and the drain hole. Don't try to run the disposal when it's jammed-this can burn out the motor.

Many disposals have a way to loosen it up from below. Under the sink, look around the bottom of the disposal for a hex-shaped hole. If you see one, look for a hex wrench that fits the hole (it's often attached to the disposal.) Install the hex wrench into the hole and force it back and forth in both directions to free the impellers that are in the disposal.

If your disposal doesn't have a hex-hole or you can't find the hex wrench, you can put a short broom stick into the disposal (with the switch turned off!), force it down against one of the blades, and try to rotate the impeller; this is an alternative to the hex wrench.

Once the blades are freely moving, you can try to turn it on (remove hex wrench and/ or broom stick first.) If it does not turn on then, unfortunately you probably burned out the motor. If it does work then great, you fixed it!

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Thanks for asking your question at Just Answer.

Best of Luck, Brian

Please leave feedback at your convenience.

Brian
Brian, Architect
Well I tried all those things and you can still hear the motor running loud and clear and it is getting plenty of H2O so I just don't see how I can free up those blades anymore. I can't reach the creator of this disposal-he used to be here in Draper Utah. Is there a way to take the disposal apart around the tub area?
Disposals typically do not come apart very easily and it is easier and less expensive to purchase a new one.
So how hard is it to replace this H2O driven one with an electrical one. We just don't have another $250 to buy yet another disposal. I don't even know how much the electric ones are.
Sorry, I haven't priced them lately. Installing a new one is not too difficult, you basically remove the old one from the sink basin and attach the new one in the same spot.
Thanks for your help on this Brian. Maybe by some miracle I will get my old one running this week as Allen does not have the time to replace it. Have a great week.

You are welcome.

Thank you for accepting my answer and please leave feedback at your convenience.

Good luck and have a great day.