Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Re painting basement floor I recently had fixed a long-standing…

Customer Question
Re painting basement floor: I...
Re painting basement floor: I recently had fixed a long-standing water & mold problem which resulted in a new, smooth concrete surface about a foot wide around the perimeter of my basement floor. The rest of the floor is old, rough concrete. The old, porous concrete has years of dust, mold and kitty smells. There is some old, shiny paint still clinging firmly to the concrete. There are no oil spills on the floor.
The basement floor is now dry and smell-free but am concerned the mold and smells may resurface in hot weather although will be using humidifier. I don't plan to finish the basement except to make it clean and useful for storage and a ping pong table. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it—may only stay a few years.

Could I just paint it with a good quality basement floor paint? Would it be worth the expense to spray concrobium on it before painting? Putting a proper sealer under the paint would cost too much because it’s thick and the floor is rough.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/6/2010
Home Improvement Expert: Charles, Engineering Contractor replied 8 years ago
Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor

Hello, and thank you for your question !!

I would get as much of the old pain and sealer off the floor as is possible.

The next option is up to you depending on the amount of money you want to spend.

You need to use a paint that will hold up under harsh conditions. Such as a high quality masonry paint. It is designed to seal the concrete and masonry.

The other option that I would use is epoxy based concrete floor coating. Like you would use in the garage. Its also designed for harsh conditions.

I hope this answers your questions, if so please click the green accept button. If not, Im still here to assist you.

Thanks again,

Charles

The only way I know to remove old paint is with an "etcher" which is expensive and difficult for me because there is no way to rinse it thoroughly since there is no drain in the basement. However, the floor has been well scrubbed with water.

I have "Lowe's Valspar High performance latex satin porch and floor paint". Would that be "high quality" masonry paint? Wouldn't it be difficult to apply the epoxy? Could mold move from the concrete floor into either the paint or epoxy? Part of my question was whether I would need to "kill" the mould before painting. (Previously when the concrete was wet tiny mushroom-like filaments grew out of the floor.)

Hello again,

Yes, I would kill the mold with a bleach water solution. I use 25%bleach to 75% water. Spray the concrete good enough to make sure its wet with it. Let it sit over night to make sure its done. Dry off the area with a fan if its not drying well. After it dries good, you can apply the coating whitch ever you want to use. You can leave the remaining paint on the concrete if you choose to. Just make sure its good and stuck to the concrete because you dont want to see it peel off later. You can use the Valspar but its not as heavy duty as the masonry or epoxy coating.

Thanks again,

Charles

Sorry to be so difficult but several people have told me not to use bleach. It may be because they think there will always be a bleach smell left or maybe they think it's too toxic.

Also, if I do put the bleach, you said "after it dries you can apply the coating". Did you mean the sealer or just to go ahead and paint?

Thanks for clearing up the paint question. The person in the hardware store thought the Velspar was the best for the job but I suspected he didn't really know much about it.

Hope you don't mind answering this further question.

Marianne

Sorry, I think I should have worded my question to emphsize my concern about mold. I'm going to re-post it.
Charles
Charles
Charles, Engineering Contractor