Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have water coming out of the outside faucets, but no water…

Customer Question
I have water coming out...
I have water coming out of the outside faucets, but no water coming into any of the sinks or showers in my house. We thought the pipes were frozen, but after applying heat to the crawlspace for about 5 hours or so, no luck. The pipes did freeze 2 days ago, but we were able to free them up after about 2 hours of the same heating process.
I guess my first question is will this answer cost me any money?
My second question would be - Any ideas what to try next?
My third would be - If we can't get anything to happen, who do I call - a plumber, or
someone that works on wells?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/6/2010
Home Improvement Expert: tinman, Home Improvement Enthusiast replied 8 years ago
tinman
tinman, Home Improvement Enthusiast

Hi, thank you for contacting justanswer.

What type house do you live in? There should be a water pipe (supply line) that comes up out of the dirt and into the bottom of your home somewhere under the house. Usually this pipe will be on the edge, just under the edge of your home. I suspect this pipe is frozen there because you have no water anywhere in your home. The reason you have water in your outside faucets is because the piping to them is under the ground or suppose to be. Your entrance supply pipe should come up out of the dirt and go into the insulation and into the bottom of your home.If you will put a heater right next to this pipe and wrap a tarp around it this should thaw it out. Hopefully without bursting the pipe.

If you have already frozen up 1 time it is also possible you have a bursted water line. You have mentioned that you have a well. One way of telling which you have is to make sure all the water faucets are cut off, (everywhere). Then go to your water pump and see if it is running, if you have no water and the pump is running you have a bursted water line.

I really lean towards the water line being frozen again. You will need to find that entrance supply line and put the heat next to it. It is hard to heat the crawl space up enough after the line is frozen solid to thaw it. You have to put the heat near to the frozen pipe to thaw it.

If you can't, won't, or don't feel comfortable doing this you will need to call a plumber. But anyone who is handy could thaw the pipe, if frozen. This pipe should either have heat tape on it where it comes out of the ground or insulated really good up to the bottom of your house to keep it from freezing.

thanks, tinman

We have a modular home. My husband knows what you are talking about - the pipe coming out of the ground and into the house. It has some older heat tape on it, but maybe it no longer works. Is there another way to test if it is working other than by touch?

Some heat tape has a small light on it that tells you if it is on or not. If not, then you have to touch it. It does not get hot enough to burn you. Only comes on when temp. is below freezing.

thanks, tinman

tinman
tinman, Home Improvement Enthusiast