Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a garage door that will only open 6 inches and then

Customer Question
the motor stops and the...
I have a garage door that will only open 6 inches and then the motor stops and the door will not move any further. When I hit the button again it proceeds to close. I did have my son press the button and I pushed the door gently and was able to get it all the way open when I kept applying force on it. I do not know what to do and was hoping that I could do this on my own without calling a garage door company.

Sincerely,
Chris
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/6/2010
Home Improvement Expert: Jason, Electrician replied 7 years ago
Jason
Jason, Electrician
Hi Chris. If you look on the side of your opener, you should see a couple of dials. One of these dials sets the Up Force for the opener. Increase the up force slightly, and try the door again. If it still won't go up, increase the up force a little more. If you end up maxing out the dial and the door still won't go up, please let me know.

Jason
Jason, Electrician
Hi Chris. The travel limit controls for the door are located in the same area on the opener as the up and down force adjustments. I don't think a limit switch is out of adjustment, because if it were, the door wouldn't even try to go up with you assisting it.

It appears the alignment of the bottom sensors is good, or the door would not start to go up. It sounds like the spring is not helping raise the door, like you may have lost some of the tension on the spring. The only other possibility is a weak motor.

Jason
Jason, Electrician
Jason
Jason
Jason, Electrician